Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Job List?
MarkD

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Locost Job List?

Apart from recreational and social activities with my family, I tend to spend my spare time working through a never ending job list that helps to remind me what I need to do and also helps to prioritise my time. E.g. a typical weekend job list would be:

1) Cut grass
2) Paint kitchen window
3) Fix pal's computer
4) Change brake pads on car
5) Etc, Etc, Etc

I get a strange twisted pleasure in ticking the jobs off on the list and a sense of smug satisfaction when I complete all the tasks on the sheet.

I'm looking for a Locost job list that would break down the vague activates that Ron mentioned in the book in to a set of main tasks in a logical order with major milestones. E.G.

1) Buy Steel
2) Cut Tubes
3) Weld basic Chassis
4) Fit suspension Brackets
5) Fit front wishbones
6) Fit front hubs
7) Make and fit axle brackets
8) Fit trailing arms and back axle
**** Major mile stone Rolling Chassis****
9) Fit engine
10) Fit Pedal box
11) Fit Steering rack
12) etc, etc, etc

Has anyone drawn up a similar job list for building a Locost yet? I think this may help to drag us all off our comfy chairs and in to the garage.

Car sold - looked like this when I gave up:
http://www.a1goods.co.uk/locost/
www.partywares.co.uk

Buy Cheap GPS Garmin eTrex Receivers, Gameboy Advance gear & Magic Tricks at http://www.a1goods.co.uk/shop/ (Blatant Ad!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i guess the next step fro that would be to do a gantt chart

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 9/6/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I mentioned this a while ago so we could have an online 'tick list' so people could see how far along everyone is. Never came to anything but if you do compile a list please send me a copy!

Chris

My gaff my rules

MarkD

posted on 9/6/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had thought of that Ned! During the week I'm a Programme Manager.....

www.partywares.co.uk

Buy Cheap GPS Garmin eTrex Receivers, Gameboy Advance gear & Magic Tricks at http://www.a1goods.co.uk/shop/ (Blatant Ad!)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/6/04 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
there are so many little time consuming tasks that to try and do a COMPREHENSIVE list would be quite a task.

Something like 'fit front suspension' would have other little things like

find out why it doesnt move thro correct arc

move bloody shock mountings

align suspension

clean hubs and paint

get lower taper drilled to suit ball joint

get right sized bolts

get pads

the stupid little things really take the time.

atb

steve

MarkD

posted on 9/6/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, I agree a comprehensive list would be quite a task. That's why I was looking for job headings such as "Make and fit axle brackets" etc rather than going into too much detail.

There's a lot of anecdotal information available already of the frustration and time some of the "little" jobs can take on some of the build diaries, but I can't find a list.

BTW - in your "fit front suspension" example you have "get pads" - I would of lumped that in to "fit brakes"

www.partywares.co.uk

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/6/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The way I do it is to have a peg board on the wall with strips of paper listing tasks.

(A bit like air traffic control!)

That way, as you think of things to do, you post em up, and take em down as complete when done. Sometimes its a good feeling to take them down, but some, like 'make grp parts' is a little slip of paper that takes a lotta work to get off the board......!

atb

steve

[Edited on 9/6/04 by stephen_gusterson]

theconrodkid

posted on 9/6/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
i used to do that,it looks like you made some progress,allways start with "make tea" tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

James

posted on 9/6/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
In an office clear-out I aquired a A3 sized whiteboard that I was going to marker-pen on the jobs as they came up so I didn't forget vital stuff.
I've been intending to put up in the garage for about 2 years.... which I guess explains why I've just had to dismantle all my wishbones so as to grease the bushes!

Doh!

James

barrie sharp

posted on 9/6/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ya i to get mine moving i had a rule of every night do at least one thing in the garage even if it meant make a list of things to do or tidy up or order stuff , it soon gets you interested and during the day i would think of something to do get home and do it. at weekends use the list to tick things off
worked for me
see ya Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
My wife used to make me lists of jobs to do , she gave up after about 12 years . It took her that long to realise that I just ignored them. Now she just asks
Alan B

posted on 9/6/04 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barrie sharp
Hi Ya i to get mine moving i had a rule of every night do at least one thing in the garage even if it meant make a list of things to do or tidy up or order stuff , it soon gets you interested and during the day i would think of something to do get home and do it. at weekends use the list to tick things off
worked for me
see ya Barrie

Yep...Good tip Barrie...often just going out there just to do a five minute job motivates you to do more.....but if you always do something you WILL get finished....

Another thing....
I find going around the project with clipboard and noting why something can't be finished or worked on is helpful...surprising how many jobs can consolidated into one hardware store visit...

Then with the list you may find stuff with no hold-ups and can work on those until you hit a stoppage.....and then record why...

Noodle

posted on 9/6/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
My list could be re-used many times over:

1. Roll fag
2. Open beer.
3. Scratch head
4. Fiddle with lathe.
5. Tidy workbench.
6. Open beer.
7. Open beer.
8. Open beer.
9. Forget purpose. Go to bed.

Seem familiar anyone?

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

JoelP

posted on 9/6/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
i like your approach noodle, time for a fridge visit methinks!

i went out just now to do something (probably get away for HER...) and ended up laying out extra wires for me headlight relays, and looming some more. i got my wires a bit crossed when i sorted the lights so the sidelights were switched and the headlights on perminant! thats gonna be finished when i get some more connectors tommorow.

i have a list at the minute, about 15 things to finish, but most are bloody hard. Alans idea is good, about making a list of why stuff cant be done! ie no bonnet cos no fibreglass, no internal radii cos no router!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tractorboy

posted on 10/6/04 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
also helps for when something gets slaved together and isnt fixed properly ie during engine build ,or re-torquing bolts after first running engine to warm etc.saves forgetting something when you have had to stop part way through a job.also handy for moments of inspiration for putting down ideas to be looked into at a later stage.
Findlay234

posted on 10/6/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I did all of this, wrote down lists of things i needed to source, parts i needed from donors, list of things to do etc, all working out pretty well, when something gets done or sourced it gets ticked off, got all my info and research from peoples build sites, the book and compnaies build manuals. my parts sourcing had details of the item, possible suppliers and their costs. ill look for the build list and post it here
Findlay234

posted on 10/6/04 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
here you go..... dunno how good it really is but its sort of worked for me so far...... would be quite interesting to develope it further i guess

[Edited on 10/6/04 by Findlay234]

Hellfire

posted on 10/6/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
In an office clear-out I aquired a A3 sized whiteboard that I was going to marker-pen on the jobs as they came up so I didn't forget vital stuff.

Like you James, we managed to acquire an A0 sized whiteboard and drywipe markers. Its probably the most used item in the garage. Saves drawing things on bits of paper Invaluable. Trouble is, kids always wanted to come into the garage to draw things on it.

That reminds me, must get some paper and pencils for them..............

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.