Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake lines on a live axel
Barronge

posted on 24/9/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Brake lines on a live axel

Dropping onto the brake lines this weekend and was trying to figure out the best path to run them through the car, will my car pass the IVA if i use a flexi hose from the chassis to the live axel then run the brake lines down the axel to the discs held in place with tie wraps???

I have seen this on some car but dont know if it will pass the new regs

pewe

posted on 24/9/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC lines need to be permanently fixed onto the axle e.g. metal clips welded in place - are the originals not there?
Can't see them passing zip-ties for such a safety critical item.
Also I put a coil of brake-pipe after the last fixing in the tunnel and ahead of the bracket which joins the flexie to the rigid pipe to absorb vibration.
Also ensure the rigid pipe isn't going to be squashed in the tunnel area as the prop-shaft & axle move up & down
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

russbost

posted on 24/9/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
They certainly accept cable ties on flexies without any prob, can't see why they should have a problem with this with a metal pipe as long as it's secure? I believe Ford used cable ties on one Fiesta model to hold metal pipes into a clip, hence the cable tie becomes a type approved part (well almost), but point is precedent has been set, if ok for a major manufacturer should be ok for anyone else.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
owelly

posted on 24/9/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are you running ridgid pipes to the calipers? I would have thought a flexi to the axle and then short ones out to the caliper.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 24/9/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Should be OK. I'd split some 1" bits of rubber hose and put it over the pipe where the ties are to stop it rubbing. An alternative to nylon ties is stainless ones if you can get them.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

omega 24 v6

posted on 24/9/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I tack welded 6mm bolts (head first )to the axle tube and used p clips and nuts .

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Humbug

posted on 24/9/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I used split hose over the pipes and held them in place on the axle tubes with mahoosive jubilee clips (from B&Q IIRC)
RoadkillUK

posted on 24/9/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
We welded tabs on the axle, put some clear tube in the places where the tabs were to hold the pipe and just bent them over, works a treat.

Flexi hose to T-piece (fastened by a welded bolt) and tabs to the Drums/Calipers.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I rivinuted (if that's a word!!!) the pipe to the tunnel with rubber lined P clips then as the axle was in bits for welding I drilled and tapped the axle tube to take more P clips.
You can just make out the T piece in the photo that had a braided flexi to connect the 2.

axle finally finished
axle finally finished

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Barronge

posted on 27/9/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the ideas, i never thought to weld brackets to the axel, i particularly like the bolts idea it seems so simple

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.