Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Engine Choices
andylancaster3000

posted on 24/9/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engine Choices

Next project is now underway, design wise anyway. It is going to be bike powered and the engine regs for one of the series I'd like to run it in are:

Any of the following engines produced before July 2003 may be used: -
Honda Fireblade
Honda Blackbird
Suzuki RF900R
Suzuki GSXR 1000 (K1 – K4)
Kawasaki ZX 9R
Yamaha R1

with:
The induction system must be standard for the engine being used; this must include carburettor / injection, though jetting, slide springs, needles and programming is free. Carburettor slides may be modified and additional drillings may be made to the carburettor bodies. Throttle bodies and injection must remain standard but loom and pipe work may be adapted.
The Kawasaki ZX7R The induction system must remain entirely standard including carburettors, although the jets may be changed. The original airbox must be used.

and:
The standard Ignition systems must be retained and no additional units (e.g. advancer, interrupters or similar which modify the ECU mapping) may be used. Wiring loom/harness is free.

Apologies for starting yet another 'which engine is best' type post but hopefully this is a little different. Could people give me an understanding of their thoughts on the above engines compared with each other. Obviously its easy to compare basic specs but I'd also like an indication of other aspects such as engine size and weight, ease/cost of getting hold of them and other installation issues seeing as the car will be slicked and, all being well, have moderate downforce.

Cheers,
Andy

franky

posted on 24/9/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
the k2/3 gsxr motors were very good in their day, loads of torque too. Plenty around as they were raced, spares are cheap too.
jossey

posted on 24/9/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have the zzr 1100 and i like it. i would have prefered a fireblade but cost wise this cost me nothing!

the gixer engine is good but very weak clutch ive been told.

i bought a broken bike. sold all bits on ebay and covered the cost of the buy in selling stuff.

good luck with your next BEC

dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy B

posted on 24/9/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at engine list I am guessing single seater Formula 4 - have been looking at this ourselves and reckon it is between the R1 and GSXR, I was leaning on the side of the R1 from a reliability point of view
regards
Andy

twybrow

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Buy my Triumph kit instead!
matt_gsxr

posted on 24/9/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
rf900 doesn't compare favourably with gsxr1000, actually it doesn't even compare with the gsxr1100 (which preceded the 1000). So you can rule that one out.

Early gsxr1000 are powerful but have oil problems. I think the RGB folk ended up dry sumping. But dry sumping is always good for power if it is legal in your formula. Nova do a system.

Matt

gixermark

posted on 26/9/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
front engine or mid/rear ?

if front I'd say the R1 or blade (954 would be sweet), if mid/rear i.e. across ways !! i'd say gixer........

ZEN

posted on 26/9/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gixermark
blade (954 would be sweet)

I have one with 3000km on the clock. Can't wait to install it in to the chassis

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.