Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mx5 brakes
jon b

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 brakes

Hi, i have mk1 mx5 uprights, brakes on my midget. Are the later better brakes. uprights to bolt right on. jon
pdm

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
For 1.8 brakes think you need 1.8 caliper brackets and discs. But you're 1.6 calipers should be ok. You'll need to bend back the dust shield if you've got it fitted to your Midget.

If you go for "sport" brakes or big brake kit from a 1.8 as I understand it you need discs, calipers and caliper brakets.

Not sure about uprights, I believe they are all the same but you may want to check.

HTH

jon b

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks on 1.6. Are the disc bigger on the 1.8. I've got plenty of room as have locost wish bone set up. jon
l0rd

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know the 1.8 has bigger brakes.

You need new discs, calipers and caliper carriers.

I believe the rear are biggers as well. You can use the calipers, you need the 1.8 brackets though?

hughpinder

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Actually the later brakes are not necessarily 'better', it all depends on brake balance. The front brake disks for a 1.8 are bigger than for a 1.6. The caliper pistons are the same size, and so the braking force is higher. A pair fo 235dia*18thk mx5 discs weigh 7.0kg, a pair of 256*20(later model) weigh 8.5 kg. The caliper is offset from the wheel centre more for the later caliper, so I amagine it also weighs a little more.
If your brake force/balance calculations for the master cylinder you are using show you will be underbraked at the front with the 235 disks, then go for the larger ones.

For a good description of changing the brakes for larger ones, see:
http://www.bigllama.com/miata/brake/bigbrake.htm

Regards
Hugh

jon b

posted on 29/9/10 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Is there a after market lighter set up thats not going to brake me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.