Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where is best to source engine?
-matt

posted on 2/10/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
where is best to source engine?

i will soon be in need of my engine, which will be a R1, the early injection model around 2004 ish is what im after.

so where is best to get one from? and what sort of price will i be looking at?

im not sure about getting one off ebay, as they all look like they have been in a crash.

cheers

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/10/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Malc Curr from Yorkshire engines is you man

http://www.yorkshireengines.co.uk/website/Home.html

However I will warn you not to wait till the snows come as Malcs delivery times go out the window.... clue TANHILL pub is near his base.... well near in Dale miles

[Edited on 2-10-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

-matt

posted on 2/10/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, i will give him a ring when im ready.

any idea on what sort of price?

also do the different models of R1's have different mounts, as my chassis was made with the mounts for the early injection model, but was wondering if the slightly later one has the same mounts?

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 2/10/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought my R1 from him, brilliant service. Nothing is too much trouble and he'll give you all the help and support you need.
Haven't started it yet, but if it goes bang then it might be a different post......but for now I can't recommend him enough. You'll pay a bit more than say e-bay, but you'll know it's a good un.....

Pete.

jase380

posted on 2/10/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
got mine off malc and it wouldnt run long enough to go bang, he took it away and fetched another one, you dont get that on ebay !!
adithorp

posted on 2/10/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Malc is your man as said. Do a search for "yorkshire-engines" and you'll find threads with what engines he's got in and prices.

The "early injection" R1 engine is 02-03 and both years are the same mountings. The 04 is the next one and continues through to 06 with different mounts.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JoelP

posted on 3/10/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt
im not sure about getting one off ebay, as they all look like they have been in a crash.

cheers

I believe that Malcs are from crashed bikes too - but when you think about it, of course they are! However, as said, they are guaranteed to work. He's sold hundreds on here and ive not heard a bad word said.

Ebay is cheaper, but its a gamble. Id consider getting a sub 500 engine on the bay, but more than that id not want to risk it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Think about buying the bike.... a 2004 motorcycle isn't as much as you might think, particularly with cosmetic damage.

You can then ride the bike around and enjoy it. As long as you don't damage the engine when you crash it (like I've did last year, doh), you can then plonk it in the car when winter comes. Anything you're left with will probably have some resale value (unless you've stuffed it).

franky

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Just be careful of the newer r1 engines, the 'big bang' ones as they make less power and torque than the older ones.
chris mason

posted on 4/10/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search around the forums and ebay, some sellers are keeping the price artifically high, 6 year old 1000cc bike engines for near on £1500 not for me thanks, most decent sellers will give you a 30 day warranty anyway, just get it home rig up a quick test bed and fire it up, if it's ok no worries, if it isn't take it back.

Best bet is too find a complete package from a kitcar, that way you'll get the manifold too and no doubt modified wiring etc.

Also why an R1, with the reputation of some R1's circa 2004 onwards i'd be more tempted to buy a zx10r instead, or for the same money a zx12 if you can find one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.