INDY BIRD

posted on 15/10/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
mnr paddle shift???? help

hi all

fitting the paddle shift on my vortx zx14,

and this is the cable type,

problem is after playing around with it i must say it is very stiff to use,

i lubed the cable just in case but didnt seem to make any difference,

the force required to move up & down the gears almost flexes the sterring wheel it requires that much effort,

i have a bracket mounted under the master cylinders (persume this is done by factory?) and bracket on steering column, these hold the cable and then mount to the paddle and a small lever ie 2-3 cm long that connects to the gearbox spline,

is this how they are all done and any feedback welcome if you have modded it to work a more smooth like and b with not so much effort if not i think i better start to work out as on track days i will have serious hand ache,

cheers all,
sean

Hellfire

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think the MNR sheath is PTFE lined so lubing it will make little if any positive difference. It may actually increase resistance.

Keep the cable as straight as possible, use larger radii rather than tight bends as this again restricts ease of use.

Pictures of route may help!

An extender on the gear selector (engine end) will help providing you have the movement at the paddle end. A new selector level with multiple pre-drilled holes will allow you some adjustment if required.

Steve

INDY BIRD

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
will take a pic im taking over some ones work so never know if was correct but i am guessing the brakets where factory done by mnr as they ar intergrated into the chassis,

cannot extend the lever on spines as the bottom chassis rail is in the way, poss similar to the zx12r position on yours ??

cheers for the advice though will go take photo now,

sean,

maybe should change it to push rods i have done atleast 5 of them now with no issues, using the cable as this came with the car??

INDY BIRD

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
pic

padd;e cable
padd;e cable

BobM

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
fitting the paddle shift on my vortx zx14,

and this is the cable type,

problem is after playing around with it i must say it is very stiff to use,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is with the engine running I hope?

As others have said maximising mechanical advantage and ensuring as straight a run as poss.

Not very Locost but very BEC

INDY BIRD

posted on 15/10/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
hi no engine not running,

but it is very hard to move the paddle?

i have done some before and even when not running the engine etc the mechanismim was nice and free and light to move, this just seens very stiff pic added to show thanks again,

Johneturbo

posted on 15/10/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Get someone to turn the output shaft as you try and engage a gear.
also without the engine running you can only select 1st gear on the ZZR14

well thats all i can select and thats the same with my ZX6R road bike

RickRick

posted on 15/10/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
mine was stiff during garage testing, it's ok when i first get going with the engine running and once the oils warmed up a touch its smooth as you like i'd be tempted to leave it for now and try again once the engines warmed up a little
INDY BIRD

posted on 15/10/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
ok ill be patient and wait,

even when i try to select gear by holding the spline bracket its very stiff so perhaps not the cable just the fact it needs to be running and a little warm to engage gears easily, as there currently is a lot of resistance in the gearl leaver spline??

cheers all as always

sean

40inches

posted on 15/10/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
My ZX9R is the same, can only get 1st until the engine is running, don't think you have a problem
marc n

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
think the brackets where done for the proshift system so you could be short on the cable length if your not using it, the chassis was originally supplied bare metal went to the owner who altered quite a few bits and bobs and did a dry build ( you know the tragic story ) after the incident the chassis came to us for powder coating before being built up, so not 100% what it is now all i do know is it did change gear ???
any probs or queries give me a bell and will do best i can to help

hope that helps

best regards
marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 24/10/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Paddle Gear stiff

Hiya,

Glad to see you are making headway with my car, I found it very hard selecting gears, I think the track the cable follows is maybe the cause as it travels down and round a severe bend to force it into the bracket position, no matter how I had it hooked up it was very tight, I even contemplated fitting the actuator paddle shift, but by that stage things had gone very wrong :-)

I hope you find a resolution to it, the car looks great, I love the rear exit exhaust, you were obviously the right man to make it work. I do hope to see it up and running sometime.

If you are reading this, then you need to get back into the garage and work harder :-)

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

The Venom Project

posted on 24/10/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Paddle Shift

Yes I second Marc's response, this chassis has gone through lots of modifications when it came into my hands, which is why MNR had there work cut out making it something like :-)

I do believe Peter had every intention of fitting his New Proshift system into the MNR, things have come to light this year that suggest several items from his hillclimb car being made ready for the MNR as he swapped over from his Centaur car to his road going nutty ZZR1400 beast.

I did find out later that the bloody tempremental fuel pump I had fitted from scratch was indeed the buggered one from the Hill Climbing car :-)

And that infact the one fitted to his Centaur was the one supplied by MNR hahaha, the cheeky bugger.

I do hope to catch up with some of you next year at Newark, where I may be marketing my custom made Teardrop Caravans.

Cheers and Good Luck with the MNR mate.

Nick

The Venom Project

posted on 24/10/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Proshift on eBay

Thought you might be interested in this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paddle-Shift-Pro-Shift-PS1-Paddle-Gear-Changer-/250714242584?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a5fbbbe18#ht_720wt_1083

INDY BIRD

posted on 25/10/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
hi nick thanks for the post appreciated u2u sent,

ps all mnr owners any pics of how you routed the cable really appreciated

cheers

T66

posted on 27/10/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is ancient, so why have I replied to it..

[Edited on 27/10/12 by T66]

INDY BIRD

posted on 27/10/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know are you on the beer?

Not had this ar for over a year know, and did sort the paddle shift out,

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.