Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Waaay off topic - central heating help!
chrsgrain

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Waaay off topic - central heating help!

Hi all,

Time to ask for non car advice! The central heating and hot water have packed up (not a disaster as we've got an immersion heater and lots of jumpers!). When the timer switches the CH and HW on, the boiler comes on for a few seconds, then switches off again. I've changed the boiler thermostat, but no better.

Will call a professional tomorrow, unless the combined locosters have anything enlightening to say??

Ta

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

hearbear

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on age it could be the thermocouple if it has one.
blakep82

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
this isn't off topic, you wrote the topic! whatever you write is always going to be on topic!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
what's your water pressure in the CH system like?
If its to low it will do what your describing

Open the filling loop for 30 seconds then close it and see if that clears the fault.

[Edited on 18-10-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

daniel mason

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
does the heating work if you put it on constant?

bob tatt

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
my moneys on a stuck pump.
boiler lights gets to temp very quick due to no circulation then shuts down on high limit stat, either that or there is a air lock somewhere but unlikely if its been running fine upto press.
have a look at the pump turn the boiler stat right down turn on both hw and ch then see if the pump is running free if not bash with hammer

pdm

posted on 18/10/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Does HW work on its own ?

Not sure when you're system was installed but we had this a while ago on our 10 year old system.

Our tank is in an airing cupboard and had a temp switch on it so the HW got cut off when water reached temp regardless of how long you actually put the water on for.

We must have caught the switch with clothes or something as it was turned right down so it never let the boiler fire for more than a few seconds. That stopped central heating as well.

Hope yours is that simple

We also had a three way switch fail which as below shuts down boiler for no circulation.

chrsgrain

posted on 18/10/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all - it doesn't work on constant, but I'll try finding and then bashing the pump!

Ta

Chris

tandi

posted on 18/10/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly the same problem. I have mate coming over tomorrow night to give me his verdict!
bob tatt

posted on 18/10/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
let me know how you get on good luck...
Peteff

posted on 18/10/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Cheers all - it doesn't work on constant, but I'll try finding and then bashing the pump!

Ta

Chris

There's a big screw head on the end of the pump. Undo it, a little bit of water may come out but don't worry about it. Insert a thin screwdriver and find the screw head in the end of the centre spindle and give it a little tweak then switch the pump on and it should run.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 18/10/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
My monies on the boiler fan bearings if not pump. Assuming of course its a fan assisted boiler if not its as old as the hills. Check that the fan isnt seized if it is youve got 2 options buy a new fan assy normally 100 squids or so or strip the bearings out nip down to your local bearing guy and replace them for a tenner.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 18/10/10 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

chrsgrain

posted on 19/10/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well.... firstly thanks for all the help - a whack on the pump appeared to get it going, but the pump was noisy and getting very hot, so I replaced that tonight (which was a bu^&er as the fittings had seized). Now the heating works on continuous, but not timed, and the hot water doesn't work at all.

Any ideas??

Thanks again

Chris

bob tatt

posted on 20/10/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
could do with some more info what system is it y plan s plan also what boiler is it. Give me some more info and ill try to help.
rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.