Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big Diesel Compressor!
NS Dev

posted on 21/10/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Big Diesel Compressor!

I'm really struggling to find a big compressor to run my blasting setup.

They go for crazy money on ebay, and there are very few plant auctions near to me here.

I am after something, ideally, in the 250CFM region, but anything over around 130CFM would get me started and I could get a second one in time and run both for heavier jobs!

There is a badly fire damaged (and I suspect actually scrap) ingersoll rand 260CFM on ebay already making silly money.

Anybody know of any good sources or frequent plant auctions?

I'm looking to spend sub £2K, it doesn't have to be a pretty machine, doesn't need functioning wheels, just needs to start, run and make clean air!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

StrikerChris

posted on 21/10/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has given up buying and repairing his own,now just leases one,and swaps it when it breaks.I dont know the costs,its better for him,but then his is near enough constantly in use,and he cant work without one so looses out big time financially if its broke.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/10/10 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
This looks good Portable Compressor INGERSOLL RAND 17bar-23,5mĀ³/min NEW on eBay (end time 09-Nov-10 10:36:12 GMT) your're only £97K short but it does have 23.5 Cubic Metres per min output

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

NS Dev

posted on 21/10/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Don't think I'd want to try and hang onto the blast hose connected to that!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 21/10/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Don't think I'd want to try and hang onto the blast hose connected to that!!

I think it would blow a body shell right out of the workshop

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

kipper

posted on 21/10/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Google .......plant auctions Hemingbrough.
Allways lots of compressors and other plant.
Usualy ex hire stuff.
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

ChrisW

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a big compressor in storage that I'll probably never use. It's electric, single phase, about 16A I believe. No idea on any of the other bits without going to look at it. All I can tell you is that it's very heavy - I had to use an engine crane to move it!

It had about 2 years use in a garage before it shut down. Been dry stored ever since.

Any good to you?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine used to run a mobile blasting and cleaning business from home and his power source was an ex-Transco van with a built in generator and compressor running from a PTO on the gearbox. I think they use the electric or self powered tools now so there should be a few vans knocking about.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I've got a big compressor in storage that I'll probably never use. It's electric, single phase, about 16A I believe. No idea on any of the other bits without going to look at it. All I can tell you is that it's very heavy - I had to use an engine crane to move it!

It had about 2 years use in a garage before it shut down. Been dry stored ever since.

Any good to you?

Chris

Sadly not. I did briefly toy with the idea of using a big 3 phase screw compressor, but one big enough would use more electricity than the main supply into the building can carry!!! Ideally I need something in the 60 to 80 hp region.

NS Dev

posted on 21/10/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
A friend of mine used to run a mobile blasting and cleaning business from home and his power source was an ex-Transco van with a built in generator and compressor running from a PTO on the gearbox. I think they use the electric or self powered tools now so there should be a few vans knocking about.

Don't suppose you've any idea what sort of CFM they output?

I've looked at using a JCB 2CX airmaster compressor bolted to a perkins diesel engine we have laying around, but they only output 180cfm so I want to exhaust all other routes first.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 21/10/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
you want an air start gas turbine engine

about 40psi at a few kg's of air a second

les g

posted on 21/10/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
we have two xas 146 ,s laying about our yard they were used for blast-pots or for 4 tool work until we sold the pots
they aint pretty but i,ll ask the question..
cheers les g

PS. do you know how big a 250cfm machine is .they are whoppers ,frigging noisy and gobble quite a bit of fuel
when working

NS Dev

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
aye, I know they are no pocket machine!

The last blasting I did was with a 375CFM though, now that was effing huge!! 6 cylinder deutz engine!

Would be VERY interested in an XAS146, that would be spot on!

let me know!

PS "not pretty" sounds ideal! I don't do enough blasting to justify a nice clean expensive machine, but the work we do does need something with a bit of oomph

cheers

Nat

[Edited on 22/10/10 by NS Dev]

les g

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nat
i have a price on the xas 146 for you
i have sent you my number by u2u
cheers les g

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.