Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Central heating problem
hughpinder

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Central heating problem

This problem is a bit different to your usual CH problem:

I heat my house using a straw burner in the winter. I have an oil fired boiler too thats usually just used for hot water in the summer. Both these circulate water through the coil in the hot water tank to heat the tank. The tank has a second coil to do instant mains pressure hot water. The central heating circuit circulates the water in the body of the tank round the radiators.

Here is the problem - the heating coil that the oil/straw burner use is leaking into the main part of the tank. Since the central heating header is in the loft at about 10m, and the straw/oil boilers have an open vent at 3m water is being pushed through and out of the vent.

The options are:
1. replace the tank - the new model of this tank has all the ports in different places and this would be a bit(lot) of a pain to install(plus the tank costs about £1200!!!).
2. I could pretty easily fit a swimming pool type heat exchanger plus an extra pump into the straw/oil boiler loop with the other side connected to the tank coil and vented to the loft overflow This would isolate the two sides from each other again. This would be much cheaper, but would involve an extra pump+some pipe work, and I'm not sure that the 230,000 btu rating is really that (the heat exchanger just looks too small). Anyone had any experience of these?

What do people reccomend - any other ideas or other CH tanks - the one in at the moment is an 'albion mainsflow indirect MF30/210'?

Regards
Hugh

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
my thoughts are that a swimming pool heat exchanger may be designed to hest to mid 30's max, so may not be ideal for what you require? combi boilers obviously use heat exchangers, which are very effective but can block easily (ask me how I know).
I suspect you need to bite the bullet and get a proper job done. What about some of the stainless tanks that are available. should be a very permanent solution?

tegwin

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think you may find that a suitably sized plate heat exchange/pump/controller etc is the same price as a new tank!

Shop about online and you might be able to get it for less....

Unless there is anway of repairing the split coil, I would put a new tank in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

markt0121

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think you only need a tank with one coil if the water in the tank is never supplied to the taps. I think this is what you have at the moment as you are circulating the water in the tank through the radiators. You could modify the plumbing to circulate the water of the tank to your boiler.

Either:-
1. Tee off the radiator feed from the tank to your boiler feed, then connect the boiler return to the radiator return.
2. Take the radiator feed from the tank to your boiler feed, then connect the boiler return to the radiator feed.
3. Change the system to a Y plan or S plan type.

Which one you choose depends how the boiler is controled. If it has it's own circulating pump then it's probably easiest to use option 1.

But I think the best option is 3. Advantage is that the feed from the boilers would be direct to the radiators and you would not need to heat all the water in the tank before you get any heat to the radiators.

You could probably re-use the circulating pump from the radiator or boiler circuits, but might need to add a valve or two depending on what you have at the moment.

markt0121

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just to try and clarify on option 3 above.

You keep the existing tank and keep using the coil to provide mains pressure hot water. Connect up the S-plan or Y-plan heating system controls to heat the water in the tank.

If you can post a diagram of how your boiler and radiators are controlled, any pumps or controled valves, timer controls etc. then I might be able to suggest a layout to re-use what you have.

I'm not a proffessional plumber or heating engineer, but I have done quite a lot of DIY.

Not sure if you would need to get a professional to do any work on the system, but if you are not doing anything to the boilers themselves then I think you would be OK.

hughpinder

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

markt0121, I don't think that I can connect the boiler feed to the radiator circuit, as the boiler circuit is open vented and below first floor level - they must be physically separated.

Unfortunately I think replaceing the tank is the only option, its just quite a lot of cost and work (I have found some suitable tanks that are a bit cheaper)

Thanks again
Hugh

markt0121

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have two header tanks, one for boilers and one for the water in the tank?

If you try what I suggested you would need to remove/disconnect one of them.

I think you should keep the one in the boiler circuit, so you don't change the water pressure in the boilers. But this would only work if the boiler header is higher than the water tank.

markt0121

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just saw your message about the boiler header below the first floor. You could only do the modification if your boilers can take 10m head of water and you'd need to be carefull that the vent for the boiler system was correct. I think you'd need a heating engineer to check it out, then it probably costs more than getting a new tank.
hughpinder

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
The boilers can both take the static head from the loft expansion tank, I know this because I've just re-plumbed it to separate the two circuits. I did this because of a problem with the 'straw burner' - if you over fuel it, or get a very strong wind that sucks the air through too fast, it is possible to boil the water in the system. With the expansion tank in the loft, this tends to cause an overflow into the loft/upstairs bedrooms.
My solution was to try and separate the radiator system from the heating system. Unfortunately with the old setup the problem with the coil was not apparent (it may have been a boiling session that burst/split/caused leak in the coil), but since it was all linked, no problem.
To make the problem worse, I have added a 3m3 thermal store, with built in expansion volume, to the straw burner, so that it should be much more difficult to boil. This does mean the thermal expansion volume is now bigger than the loft tank (4% of the whole system is about 150l), so I couldnt even make a temporary change (until spring) to restore the old vent and blank the thermal stores open vent.

Thanks for your ideas though
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.