Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol in a Diesel- 2007 Volvo S40 2.0D
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/10/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol in a Diesel- 2007 Volvo S40 2.0D

Some one who shall remain nameless has put petrol in the Volvo again!

Didn't start the engine but towed the car back to the house. Was happy just to have the tank drained but am worried now that the fuel pump was circulating petrol around whilst I had the ignition on. Should have taken the fuse for fuel pump out.

What do you think I should do? Try and drain it my self or put it in to my friendly neighbourhood garage?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

madteg

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fill up with diesel and it will bo OK
Breaker

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall correctly there is no fuel pump in the tank. Only a low pressure pump at the engine driven by the crankshaft; so you should be OK.

[Edited on 22/10/10 by Breaker]

plentywahalla

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels will run on petrol ok. Only difference is that the injector pump is lubricated by the diesel flowing through it. You have to run the engine on petrol for quite a long time to do any real damage.

As you didn't pump any fuel through the injector pump it should be fine to just fill up with diesel.

hillbillyracer

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I know of an 03 reg Astra 1.7TD that got petrol in twice, the first time it ran that well we did'nt spot what was worng & sent it for a diagnostic work, it did 50+ miles before it was spotted! The second time I dont know the circumstances, just that it'd happened.
Recently it became hard to start, turning over a lot before it got going & the owner traded it in, it's possible the pump had suffered a bit & was struggling to make pressure at cranking speed.

I cant see you having any significant problem, I would'nt worry at all.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
How much petrol is the important thing.. A litre or so in 40-80 litres of diesel might well be ok, but if it was nearly empty and you filled it...

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Recently drove mine with about 25% mix, it drove OK until after 200 miles pulled up at the Dartford toll and it cut out. When I got to Brighton I filled it again and it was fine on the way home but did cut out a couple of times at junctions. I ran it to almost empty and filled again. This tme it ran perfectly and didn't cut at juntions at all. The best thing is that when I boot hard it now there's no smoke at all whereas before it would smoke at the redline!

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
You know I heard a little petrol in with diesel helps out, but no-one since I heard that has come that close to agreeing

gregs

posted on 23/10/10 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
as a precaution, get yourself a fresh fuel filter, fill it with Miller Diesel supplement (currently marketed as diesel power 4 i think) fill the filter with the supplement (neat) and that will give a safe a system as possible for restart.

HTH.

Greg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.