Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT emissions and autobox questions
pdm

posted on 2/11/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
MOT emissions and autobox questions

Evening

Hypothetically speaking, suppose you were going to buy a post 2002 car but then put a 95-97 engine in it.

Where would you be on engine emissions ? motuk.co.uk seems to say you get tested on the oldest thing - in this case the engine.

But then you are still after the CAT test...

Does this change if you were to put the same 95-97 engine into a pre 92 car ?

If you have aftermarket ECU and run injection, can you make an old pre 95 engine meet CAT requirements with mapping and a cat in the exhaust or is that a stupid question ?

Secondly with an engine swap, assuming you have a gearbox and can make an adapter plate already would it then matter if you bought an engine that is currently attached to an auto box ?

Thanks
Paul

snapper

posted on 2/11/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
You are tested for MOT on what the V5 says.
You can get an old engine to run with a cat but would struggle with the latest emissions due to combustion chamber design.
You would only need a flywheel and clutch for the conversion to manual

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

austin man

posted on 2/11/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
and a clutch pedal and some wiring changes.

Is there not a difference to the accelerator setup on an auto I know carbed models used to have a kick down

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

pdm

posted on 2/11/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
with the auto box thing, it was more if I take out the engine from an auto, then given I would have a manual gearbox, clutch, flywheel could I then just bung this engine onto it.....

I think there can be issues with starter motor which require a flywheel spacer...is it safe to space a flywheel ?

interestedparty

posted on 2/11/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
On many auto cars of the 90s they had starting using electronic gearboxes controlled by the engine ECU, so if you are planning to use the original ECU then you may well be stuck with using the autobox too. Having said that, autos are great, I love them, and wouldn't buy a road car that didn't have one. They work well in sporty cars too.

Just noticed you said aftermarket ecu!

[Edited on 2/11/10 by interestedparty]

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

morcus

posted on 2/11/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone on here told me you have to move the starter motor to convert between manual and Auto boxes? I'm sure it's easier to source an engine with the right box than swap them but I've not got any experience.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

pdm

posted on 3/11/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Thanks everyone.

ECU wouldnt be a problem as it would be aftermarket.

Interesting about the starter motor as that seems to be the sticking point for a lot of conversions.

Thanks again.

morcus

posted on 4/11/10 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
What are the engine and gearbox? someone on here might know some specifics. It is do able to swap (I've seen Cosworth Scorpios and Jag XK's advertised as being converted) but it would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

pdm

posted on 4/11/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
well I've been thinking about a kit versus a project car.

Kit has a load of advantages and I was thinking of an MX5 based car.

However, we've had a bit of a change of circumstances at home and that doesn't look too likely short term.

So I started thinking that if I stil had my MX5 (in one piece) the money I would spend on a kit would get me a long way to really sorting the car to former glory.

What I was dreaming about was the Mazda KLDE engine swap that I've read about both here and on the miata forum.

A member here clairetoo made up an adapter plate for a KLDE to fit to the MX5 gearbox in her fury. Then made up a brand new subframe for the owner of an MX5 to fit the engine too.

Whilst money is tight I was thinking about ditching my kit plans short term and either buying a donor car for engine or an MX5 to start work on. Outlay would be low initially but I would have something to do and hopefully when things pick up I could get the "other half" of the equation.

Anyway - most of the engine donors are Auto's and what I really wanted to know is whether that's a good base or not ?

I haven't approached the people who've done this before directly as its only an idea at the moment.

thanks
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.