Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I now have self centering
Michael

posted on 7/11/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I now have self centering

One of my fail points was no self centering.

I have managed to get that sorted today, buy adjusting the tracking to paralell.

I have tested it on both locks (left and right) as the tester only did it on right lock.

I found on right lock i get 45% degrees return and on left it is only about 27% can this be altered or is it adequate?

Thanks

Paul TigerB6

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure i'm reading it right - you get different amounts of lock each side?? You ideally need to centre the steering rack before connecting up the steering column properly, and putting on the track rod ends to connect to the steering arms. This should allow you to equalise the lock both sides.
RichardK

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the car attempts to self centre I thought was enough.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Michael

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
The car has the same lock on both sides.

Its the distance the wheel moves when coming back from lock. On a left lock it comes back about 27% and on a right lock it returns by 45%

I thought maybe it had to be more or less the same, but if it is just that it attempts to self center then i will leave it at that.

StevieB

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I failed my SVA first time round on self centering too.

My car made an attempt to self centre, but not enough in the testers opinion.

Second time round I used rediculous toe out, which made it self centre no problem. Got a pass no problem, and put everything back to how I wanted it (very slight toe in) as soon as I got home.

snapper

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
We had this problem at the last IVA we attended, before IVA we had set tracking to 0.5 degs toe in and pumped the front tyres to 35 psi.
The tester was not happy so we dialed in more toe, no good, we dialed ot to no toe, still no good, the tester hinted that toe out often works in his experience.
So we dialed toe out and the tester reported adequate self centring and we got a pass

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Frosty

posted on 8/11/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I went to the SVA with about 0.8 deg of toe out on each of the front wheels and got through. Self centering was still nowhere near as good as on a normal road car, but the car was definitely showing a willingness to sell-centre so it passed no problem.

Lots of toe out with normal tyre pressures, then raise or lower them if you still don't get good results. That's how I would do it.

RichN

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
On my RIOT I have a "smidge" of toe-in and was advised to drop the front tyre pressures to 6 (yes six) PSI. It passed IVA OK, obviously my first job afterwards was to put the air back up to 18 PSI.
Michael

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I feel i have adequate self center on RH lock, and some but not as good on LH lock.

I am running tyre pressures at 30 psi so when i get the back end on again i will try altering the pressures.

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.