Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 120 ?
Jon Ison

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 120 ?

Any good ? Mrs seems to have took a hankering for one.

Whats a viable alternative, not looked at tin tops for a while.

r1_pete

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit I like them, there are a few at work with them and not heard any bad reports, the 118 diesel is extremely thrifty I believe.

Like most of the BMW range though, spec does vary vastly, lots of options available.

I guess the obvious alternatives are things like the Golf, Volvo C30 and the likes.

A new model is iminent though, so used prices should drop, and dealers should be starting to offload new stock at reasonable prices.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tris

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
We have just gone for a 118d for my other half.

Cheaper to insure and better mpg than the 120d, although i did notice the difference in performance (the miss's wasn't bothered).

Brought it last wednesday from a main dealer in Derby (its on a 07 plate). This is our first BMW and the dealer gave us too good an offer on our trade in, it was difficult to refuse.

Two days later ABS/Traction warning light came on. No bigie as its still drivable and we got the 1 year warrantee by going through a dealer.

Car was booked in to the local BMW garage near Bedford. They fixed the issue with the ABS in two mins, but then noticed a slight oil leak around the sump. Being nice gents, they took it upon themselves to change while it was there, only to find A COMPLETE BOLT rattling around within the sump !..

Last time i spoke to them they were ringing the mother land to try and figure where this bolt has come from !.

Hay ho. Lovely car besides that so far - we wanted something VAG/BMW ish and looked at the usual golf's, A3's etc.

Cheers
Tris

Thinking about it

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Must admit I like them, there are a few at work with them and not heard any bad reports, the 118 diesel is extremely thrifty I believe.

Like most of the BMW range though, spec does vary vastly, lots of options available.

I guess the obvious alternatives are things like the Golf, Volvo C30 and the likes.

A new model is iminent though, so used prices should drop, and dealers should be starting to offload new stock at reasonable prices.

Do you know when the new model is out

Tris

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do you know when the new model is out

Next year apparently. We were able to beat all the usual car super markets etc by going to a main dealer purely due to the fact that they gave us such a great trade in price for our MX-5.

Which reminds me - the 1 series is ofcause the only rear wheel drive car in that size range (if that matters any)

morcus

posted on 8/11/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the one series, especially in Coupé form. As far as alternatives, I'd think Alfa 147/Guilleta and the C30 perhaps.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Nick Skidmore

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine owned a busy and successful garage for many years, he said of BMW 'biggest pile of over rated s**t on the market'. I know it's only one persons view but it was formed over many years of working with all types of cars. My limited of them has been poor with the mysterious bolt in sump story above being typical of they money pits they can become.

If you're thinking of getting a diesel for economy why not consider a petrol variant of anything you like with a Prins (only fit a Prins) LPG conversion. I will not look at a diesel again after doing this.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chrsgrain

posted on 9/11/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO has got one, and its great - she's done 71,000 miles in it in 2 years, with no problems other than the usual service items (tyres and brake bits). Comfy, quick enough, practical, not so small that it feels wobbly and not so bit to be a pain in the arse.... Will definitely get another one.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.