Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problems with ISP Should i involve trading standards?
l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Problems with ISP Should i involve trading standards?

I have mobile proadband with Orange.

I have had enough. trying to get skype to work in order to talk to my wife is a mission.

And this is only with using Skype and doing nothing else on the computer.

Now if they call this mobile broadband, it is absolutely hilarious.

Shouldn't they advertise the speeds that they can deliver? Also shouldn't they advertise that the latency is rediculous?

I have had enough. Tonight i spend 1 hour to talk to my wife. I had to reconnect 13 times. I was talking to my wife and the delay was about 12 seconds before she replied on a question.

prawnabie

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
you like a good rant dont you
D Beddows

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Skype is probably your problem - it's truly cr*p = try another voip provider before you asume it's orange

l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have asked in the past if we can have a rant section that will not be shown on the main page.

but didn't happen.

I am just annoyed. I had a difficult day. I wanted to talk to my wife and i got that upset that in the end i got a really bad headache and had an argument with my wife because of that.

l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Skype is probably your problem - it's truly cr*p = try another voip provider before you asume it's orange

Skype was spot on when i was with Virgin.

l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
These are the results of a Speedtest

download 0.87Mbps

upload 0.01Mbps

Latency 383ms

donny

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
never tried mobile broadband but to date have never had a problem with skype. I was very impressed with streaming video / voice when talking to relatives in Melbourne.

Rants are good for you. I shout out loud at everything when I'm out and about on the bike!

Cheers,
Donny

andrew

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
its not skype at fault its definatey orange, have just binned them and gone elswhere,,,,,
daviep

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
i have asked in the past if we can have a rant section that will not be shown on the main page.

but didn't happen.

I am just annoyed. I had a difficult day. I wanted to talk to my wife and i got that upset that in the end i got a really bad headache and had an argument with my wife because of that.

Sounds like you had a really sh1t day, I've had them myself but never bad enough that I actually wanted to speak to my wife

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

MikeR

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
A friend used to use mobile networks for work. Learnt some interesting stuff.

Basically the networks have limited capacity, if too many people are on the network mast then you get terrible performance. If one person is downloading lots of data you get terrible performance. If you get too far away from the mast you get terrible performance ....... got the idea yet?

If you get lucky you get a very good performance. I guess you're not lucky.

r1_pete

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree, Orange are crap, binned them about a year ago, absolutely no support whatsoever from the script reading call centre employees, not the employees fault just orange delivering a cheap second rate service at best.

They are so dim, they failed to send me a return packet for the router, so I sent it registered with an invoice for £30 P&P and storage, and they paid it!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
A friend used to use mobile networks for work. Learnt some interesting stuff.

Basically the networks have limited capacity, if too many people are on the network mast then you get terrible performance. If one person is downloading lots of data you get terrible performance. If you get too far away from the mast you get terrible performance ....... got the idea yet?

If you get lucky you get a very good performance. I guess you're not lucky.

I kinda know all about these as i did my MSc in Communication Networks planning and Management

I am upset as when i did buy it, it was my last resort but wouldn't have done so if they had told me the figures when i asked them.

You get this latency from a 56K analogue modem and wouldn't expect it from something called broadband.

l0rd

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I'd agree, Orange are crap, binned them about a year ago, absolutely no support whatsoever from the script reading call centre employees, not the employees fault just orange delivering a cheap second rate service at best.

They are so dim, they failed to send me a return packet for the router, so I sent it registered with an invoice for £30 P&P and storage, and they paid it!!

I still have the router at home when Virgin c0cked up the installation. Never bothered me to send it back. Probably i need to call them and ask for £200 quid for storing it for the last 9 months that i have been waiting for them to send the parcel to send it back.

phoenix70

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not 100% sure on this, but does Orange even approve of you using Skype, I know some mobile broadband providers specific prohibit the use of any VOIP service over their network. Worth checking you T&C before you have a go at them

[Edited on 9/11/10 by phoenix70]

Humbug

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Sorry, I totally disagree - never any problem with Skype, and I use it a lot, both for work and to talk to kids at uni. Not got a particularly fast bb connection either (2.5Mbps download)

Peteff

posted on 10/11/10 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Use MSN. If you don't want your rant in the main page put it in Mad House which is what it's for. Mad, get it?

[Edited on 10/11/10 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 10/11/10 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you are complaining, then I would have thought it would be Ofcom rather than Trading Standards, but I may be wrong!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jabs

posted on 10/11/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
But don't the ISP's just quote a max speed figure ie Up to 8Mb, they never quote a minimum speed. So even with your slow speeds they are meeting the contracted speed.

[Edited on 10/11/10 by jabs]

l0rd

posted on 10/11/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabs
But don't the ISP's just quote a max speed figure ie Up to 8Mb, they never quote a minimum speed. So even with your slow speeds they are meeting the contracted speed.

[Edited on 10/11/10 by jabs]

Yes they are but my connections is nearly not connection.

I do not mind the download. I used to have 1Mbps broadband in the early days and was 100 times better than this.

It's the upload and the latency that i am upset with.

0.01Mbps upload and 383ms latency.

If these 2 where better, i wouldh't be so annoyed.

BenB

posted on 10/11/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't go with Orange BB on principle on the basis that their "unlimited" package actually has a cap but they don't tell you what your particular cap is until they decide you've gone over it when they promptly cut you off!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.