Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help skip hire wont collect skip - house sale could fall though
MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
help skip hire wont collect skip - house sale could fall though

A friend of mine is due to complete the sale of his house today, but buyer is threatening to pull out as the skip on the front drive hasn't been removed. My mate has been calling the skip hire company for 6 weeks, on more than a daily basis, to get it removed, everytime they promise it will be gone and they never turn up. Yesterday it even got to the point where they said it would be gone in the next 15minutes!! He lives about 60 miles away now so can't keep an eye on it, so i drove past the house this morning on the way to work to check it had gone as i they promised yesterday at 4.45pm (for the 3rd time that day), and guess what, its still there. I called the number this morning at 6.15am and the bloke answered, who after i said it was early for a skip hire company to be in, "i'll empty the skip on your drive of you call at this time"!!! This was before i had even mentioned anything about the particular skip! When i said what road it was on he put the phone down!! He obviously has no intention of picking it up. So what can my mate do to get rid of it, if its not gone by 1pm the other party are threatening to sue for breach of contract and drop out.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tatey

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not ring the skip hire company and say that for every hour that the skip has not been removed you will be charging a storage fee and after 3 days the skip will then be taken away by another skip company?
MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatey
Can you not ring the skip hire company and say that for every hour that the skip has not been removed you will be charging a storage fee and after 3 days the skip will then be taken away by another skip company?

From the way he spoke this morning and the fact its been 6 weeks, i don't think they have any intention of collecting it, i'm guessing they have gone bump and trying to scam the last few people.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it is a "local" company, so going to a head office is obviously not an option.

In this case, how about asking the advice of the Police (I know, I know, but you may get a copper who cares). I would suggest the skip is the property of the hire company and it is currently causing an obstruction to private property. Bit of a long shot, but worth a try ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

lewis

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
pay another company to pickup the skip and put it in the road,its then the councils/companys problem

job done.

MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
pay another company to pickup the skip and put it in the road,its then the councils/companys problem

job done.

thats what i suggested, only problem is finding a company who will do it, the ones he has tried so far will not touch it

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

karlak

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I am not sure another company would not do that. They are bound by so many rules on waste disposal, any company found "dumping" a Skip somewhere other than an official waste disposal plant would be in a lot of trouble.

Worth a couple of calls though.

[Edited on 12/11/10 by karlak]

karlak

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried calling the company as "someone else" and trying to arrange a skip hire. Just to get an idea if they still in business ??

Paul TigerB6

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Is it on public or private land?? I'd ring the council if on public land, or Trading Standards and Citizens Advice if on private land. Can his solicitor not make a call at all if it is under threat of falling through? I had a skip outside my house last week that wasnt removed for only 4 days admittedly, but a call from "the council" (my brother in law) had it moved within 2 hours.
MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Is it on public or private land?? I'd ring the council if on public land, or Trading Standards and Citizens Advice if on private land. Can his solicitor not make a call at all if it is under threat of falling through? I had a skip outside my house last week that wasnt removed for only 4 days admittedly, but a call from "the council" (my brother in law) had it moved within 2 hours.

its on his drive. i think the solicitor will be involved at 9am

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mal

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Use a jack or crow bar to lift the one end of the skip a few inches and slide some steel tube about 2" diameter, such as scaffolding tube. Once you have 2 or 3 rollers under the skip it will move fairly easily.
Mal

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Use a jack or crow bar to lift the one end of the skip a few inches and slide some steel tube about 2" diameter, such as scaffolding tube. Once you have 2 or 3 rollers under the skip it will move fairly easily.
oadamo

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
i had the same prob but at work, just phone the scrapyard and they will take it if th money is right lol.
adam

JoelP

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
order a new skip and hoik it all over. I assume he's paid for the skip thats there? Small claims court for that i guess

[Edited on 12/11/10 by JoelP]

02GF74

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
plasma cutter or angle grinder + 100 cutting discs should see the end of it.

if you were local, I'd give a hand.

send invoice to skip company and charge them for storing their skip. 2 weeks to pay else small claims court.

Benzine

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
order a new skip and hoik it all over. I assume he's paid for the skip thats there? Small claims court for that i guess

[Edited on 12/11/10 by JoelP]

Yeah I'd do that - transfer stuff inside to new skip, take massive angle grinder to old skip (half the skips out there look like they'll just fall apart anyway they're so rusty)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

dhutch

posted on 12/11/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelPorder a new skip and hoik it all over.

Yeah, given the situation (like it needs to be gone asap) hire another, move it from to the other, other skip leaves (a good company would proberbly even wait while you tranfser and maybe even help) rubbish gone.

Then you just have an empty skip which a couple of people can lift, get it onto a flatbed/car trailer (friends/hired/borrowed) and either take it to the tip or to the skip base.

Daniel

philw

posted on 12/11/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mal

This is what i did, although i used a high lift jack to lift it and placed some scaffold poles under it and slowly towed/dragged it out onto the road with a land rover.

Must try harder

BenB

posted on 12/11/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'd do a transfer job. If you move it onto the public carriageway okay the council will have to remove it but they might start asking how it got their in the first place.....
carpmart

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
The solution to this is money based!

£500.00 cash to another Skip company will see the problem gone!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
UPDATE: My mate phoned him up at 8.30 to be met with a torrent of abuse, my mate stayed calm and just replied with," i've had enough now my solicitor will deal with you" and put the phone down. He called back straight away and said there was no need for that, my mate said he wasn't dealing with him any more and his solicitor would be in touch. The solicitor called him, he was rude to the solicitor but has agreed it will be moved this morning. But we will wait and see.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

jossey

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
strap it to the back of a decent size car and pull the f**ker up the road.

or tell them your off to weigh it in at a local scrap merchant.

dave

MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
strap it to the back of a decent size car and pull the f**ker up the road.

or tell them your off to weigh it in at a local scrap merchant.

dave

i'd have dragged it off with my landy, but its full of soil, not even the disco will move that without wheels!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
And the hire company is:-

Bennets Skip Hire, avoid at all costs!!!!

http://bennettsskiphire.com/

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

balidey

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if they have the right to use the Wombles image on their website? Maybe worth tracking down who has the copyright and get them to give the skip firm some hassle?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.