Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Priming oil pump
antwan

posted on 17/11/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Priming oil pump

Hi all,
I am building an MNR powered by 16V BMW unit. Things are going great and im just at the point where I need to get the engine running before bodywork (just in case it hasnt liked hanging around in the corner of the garage for 5 months).

All electrics are sorted and the engine turns over with the fuel system disabled, oh yes big grins all round! I want to make sure the oil pressure warning light goes out before starting it. Any idea how to prime without removing the sump? Would filling the oil filter housing up with oil help, does this get filled by the oil pump first?

Thanks

RichardK

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if you can just take out the plugs and cut the fuel supply and turn over the engine for a few minutes. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly with the correct method!

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Filling the filter is always a good idea.
I take it the ignition is electronic, if so remove the spark plugs and fit them to the appropriate wires and ground the threaded area (usually just lying them on a metal portion of the engine is sufficient).
Turn the engine over till the oil light goes out, re-fit the plugs and start the motor.

antwan

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ace. Maybe me being a bit touchy feely. I only turned over on the starter for a short period. I have just taken the oil filter housing lid off and only about a third of the filter is wet. Hopefully a good sign that the oil is being pushed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.