Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay final value fee - HOW MUCH!
PSpirine

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay final value fee - HOW MUCH!

Just sold something on ebay for £311 - and got a bill for £31 from ebay.

10% of final value?!?!?!?!?!?

Since when did that happen?! Last time I sold on ebay (over a year ago) it was closer to 5-6%...

Highway robbery that is.

McLannahan

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Shocking isn't it?

I hope you didn't take PPal as payment...bye bye another massive percentage...

tegwin

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yup... plus the 3.4% (plus 20p) fee for using paypal.... They can get away with it, so they do...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

PSpirine

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Did use paypal - to be honest it's an item that I can't really sell any other way.. and given that I bought it new for about £300 4 years ago, I've done pretty well.

But it's bloody mental.. really surprised me.

hillbillyracer

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
When you compare it conventional auctions or other methods of selling through the ads paper etc the fees mabye aint too bad, but the kicker is that their overheads must be minimal in comparison, it pretty much runs itself, you do all the work of listing it, running the auction, handling the items etc & it'll be very rare that an ebay employee actually gets involved, they get the money for doing close to F-all!
oadamo

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
i sold a gokart on there for 60 quid and i had to pay 30 to list cry lol
l0rd

posted on 5/12/10 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is shocking.

Last week i was looking at a set of alloys. I was outbid on my £112 when it ended.
The buyer was living in Poland and as it was a UK only listing the seller asked me if i wanted them as i had emailed him and asked questions. I told him that i would pay £100 for them. He was a bit dissapointed with that but when i told him that he didn't have to send me a second chance offer and then pay the ebay fees etc.. he agreed and was happy with it.

I am selling my furniture as i am getting ready for my departure abroad and i am using Gumtree.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/12/10 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe we should set our own one up. I can write html (still got the book somewhere!)

SeaBass

posted on 6/12/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I am selling my furniture as i am getting ready for my departure abroad and i am using Gumtree.

OWNED by eBay.

balidey

posted on 6/12/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay used to be brilliant about 6+ years ago. not many people used it (compared to now), it was cheap to list. You could search for an item and usually get a dozen results.
Now its a huge concern. So they have done what most businesses do, increased profits. And when I search for an item you get hundreds upon hundreds of crap search results from businesses that don't even contain the word you were searching for.
And then the fees are hiked up to a level where the only people who can justify them are the business selllers that are swamping the site.

Ebay IMHO should have been split into two parts years ago. One part run as it was, for sellers selling items they have kicking about their house and then a seperate Business site, pretty much what it is now.

I miss the old ebay. I don't use it half as much as I used to. I often search for items on ebay, then buy them online from a cheaper place. Exact oposite of what ebay was all about.

I used to use Yahoo Auctions, which was running before ebay. But ebay got the market share and now its a monopoly.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Surrey Dave

posted on 6/12/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Urine

Yes they are really taking the 'p' now , not only is it too expensive with PayPal added on , as I found out you can send the goods and then PayPal can pull back the payment that they have notified as received , scary!!, I've started trying to get cash on collection.

There is also another email money sending service from Nochex but Ebay/Paypal have made that a bit difficult.

They really need a dose of member power and a bit of decent competition.

hobbsy

posted on 6/12/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
The business sellers that shift any kind of volume don't pay 10% on their final value fees (incidentally it stops at £40 for a £400 sale - woop!).

As they are making them loads of cash anyway they reduce it and how much they pay is in part determined by their DSR ratings (when you mark them out of 5 stars) hence they often include a card with the goods asking for a 5star rating as then they'll pay less in fees (and in theory) can charge less for the goods...

eBay still has its place but as you say there are a lot more people willing to deal on the side especially for the more expensive items (when you point out they are gonna pay 10% in fees).

sonic

posted on 6/12/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I only buy items i want off Ebay if the seller has given a contact number,i ring them up and do a cash deal and collect or post a cheque.
They end it early and no fee to pay,i wouldnt sell sod all on there as they rob you blind and then Paypal sit on your money until the buyer decides he is happy,i don't think so!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.