Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swirl Pot - is it needed?
cps13

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Swirl Pot - is it needed?

Hi all,

I am building a locost which will be a road going car. I will probably take it on track days maybe 3/4 times a year at most.

It is going to have a 1.8 zetec, EFI. The question I have is do i really need a swirl pot?

i don't want to run the risk of damaging the engine but don't want to install unecesasry parts.

Cheers,

flak monkey

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you do, unless your tank has one built in.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

BenB

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Some people run without them and seem to get on okay but I think it's a cheap insurance to have. Blatting round a high speed corner at full chat and going all lean might be an expensive problem compared to a cheap swirl pot. Just make sure you don't recirculate back into the swirl pot otherwise you risk making toasty warm fuel and vapour locks etc etc. Best to feed the return back from the fuel reg to the tank.
SPYDER

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there. My friend has a factory built Zetec engined Westfield that suffers awfully from fuel starvation if its tank is less than half full. He is going to mod the tank. I would advise you to do the same.
cps13

posted on 8/12/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Some people run without them and seem to get on okay but I think it's a cheap insurance to have. Blatting round a high speed corner at full chat and going all lean might be an expensive problem compared to a cheap swirl pot. Just make sure you don't recirculate back into the swirl pot otherwise you risk making toasty warm fuel and vapour locks etc etc. Best to feed the return back from the fuel reg to the tank.

Thanks for your answers guys - will be fitting one.

The setup i was planning is...

tank----l/p pump----swirl----filter----h/p pump----fuel rail----pressure reg----swirl pot----tank.

Are you saying take out the feed from the fuel reg to the swirl pot? Would you just blank out one of the inputs to the swirl pot because I understand they come with 4?

Cheers,

flak monkey

posted on 8/12/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I always ran with the HP return to the swirl pot. No problems.

If you do run the return back to your tank, make sure your LP pump can supply at least the flow rate of the HP pump.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

l0rd

posted on 8/12/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
and i would use a LP filter before the LP pump to ceap it nice and clean
SPYDER

posted on 8/12/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
and i would use a LP filter before the LP pump to ceap it nice and clean

Please be careful if you fit a filter before the LP pump. We had a high RPM misfire on our TR7V8 racecar which was eventually traced to air being drawn in at such a fllter.

beaver34

posted on 8/12/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
ive fitted one, my tank was baffled but i had fuel stavation less than 1/2 a tank on roundabouts
Ivan

posted on 8/12/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
In hot climate overheating fuel is a definite problem that causes fuel pump failure amongst other things, so in hot climate definitely return feed into tank and not into swirl tank. Also in hot climates run with your tank as full as possible and top up as often as possible. (by hot I mean > 38C). (Doubt if that's a problem in England). How do I know this - I have paid the price of expensive fuel pumps a couple of times on the tintops. Insulation between tank and hot road plus fuel cooler also helps in these circumstances.

If you have good baffling in the tank I really don't see the need for a swirl tank, but then I am no expert.

v8kid

posted on 8/12/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
make sure the Lp pump pumps at a higher rate than the Hp pump or the swirl tank will run dry. Guess how I know

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 8/12/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you fit a Landy pump in the tank you get the pump, swirl pot and sender all in one - much easier IMO

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve8274

posted on 8/12/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
i hadnt considered a swirl pot.
what is required to use them, ie swirl pot?
how much will it all cost roughly?
is it cheaper to put something in the tank and if so what?
sorry for all the questions
steve

cps13

posted on 8/12/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
i hadnt considered a swirl pot.
what is required to use them, ie swirl pot?
how much will it all cost roughly?
is it cheaper to put something in the tank and if so what?
sorry for all the questions
steve

The point of a swirl pot is to keep constant supply of fuel to the engine. Fuel starvation often happens during high speed cornering, especially when the fuel tank starts to empty. They are often included inside the tank and therefore no external one is required. However I have heard stories, even on this thread, of an external swirl pot still being required.

To have a swirl pot you will only really need an additional low pressure pump and filter to be installed between the fuel tank and swirl pot. All other components are needed anyway.

swirl pots start at around £45, if anyone has found cheaper please let me know!? About the additional cost of a tank with a built in device I believe.

mccsp

posted on 8/12/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
RazMan,

Do you know the part number of the landrover fuel pump system. ANy idea of dimension, interested in fitting one to an MK 6gallon fuel tank.

Cheers

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

RazMan

posted on 8/12/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I used this one

RANGE ROVER P38 V8 IN-TANK FUEL PUMP`94-`98 on eBay (end time 23-Dec-10 14:56:39 GMT)

PART Nº: STC4344

It has a telescopic sender which sits on the bottom of the tank - quite a neat little system really. Pump gives me 3 bar and plenty of flow.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.