Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drowned htc desire....
StrikerChris

posted on 30/12/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Drowned htc desire....

Well i dropped it in the sink and killed it!sat it in silica gell for afew days on the radiator and it just buzzed with a little red light on when i put the battery in,no insurance,warrenty void due to water damage so i operated on it myself!success i thought as it switched on fine,full signal,rings when you ring it,except the touch screen doesn't work,so i cant unlock it to answer or see if anything else is goosed!dont want to waste any money on it really,its £30 to buy a screen,any thoughts whether this is likely the only problem?0thanks,chris
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 30/12/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
its a gamble really, but if you assume the phone is worth £300 fixed, then you only need a 1 in 10 chance of success to justify spending £30 on it, assuming its worthless as it is now.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Strontium Dog

posted on 30/12/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
The screen won't like ANY humidity! You need to open up the case to allow it to ventilate and then hang it behind your PC's exhaust fanor somewhere similar for a day or so. You may well find that it'll work fine. Keep the battery out of it untill you've done that. Water rarely kills electronics. Water and current do the damage!
blakep82

posted on 31/12/10 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
putting the phone in with dry rice is supposed to cure phones. even better than silica gel!
try that? nothing to lose

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 31/12/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Emergency Treatment for Drowned Electronics

Maybe too late for you, but in the event of an electronic appliance going into water, PULL BATTERY ASAP!
Then you dry it as fast as you can with the method you prefer.
I use a hairdryer with air as hot as I can withstand it with my bare hands.
Let it rest a couple of hours to cool down, then repeat.
Usually this takes care of internal moisture.
Then replace battery, if you notice any strange behaviour, remove batery again and repeat.
After a couple of attempts, if it fails again, maybe you didn´t removed the battery quick enough.
HTH
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trikerneil

posted on 31/12/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I once saved a wet mobile by drying it in the airing cupboard for a few days.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

Danozeman

posted on 31/12/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I left mine on the radiator with the battery removed for a week when i did it to mine. Worked a treat after.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

steve m

posted on 31/12/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I havnt tried myself, but have heard that leaving the phone in uncooked rice was the best result

Steve

StrikerChris

posted on 31/12/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies,i think its thoroughly dry now,i did it boxing day,and its been drying since.when i opened it up i could see water damage on afew circuit boards and removed that with alcohol and as said it appeared to do the trick.leave it till the new year now then might try a new touch pad.i know if i take it to the shops by me they'll see an expensive phone and charge accordingly,pikey student types!its only a phone to me so not too bothered about it and spending a fortune!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/12/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
My daughter killed her brand new 2 week old smart phone when she dropped it in the snow.
Screens fooked so Im going to trade it in at wicked gadget when I go to get rid of my nokia 5800

wicked gadget have htc dezires for 250 a grade repaired

nitram38

posted on 31/12/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
My friend did the same with her iphone.
It wouldn't power up at all.
I took it to my local repairer (local indian guy in tooting). He took it apart and cleaned it. Cost £20.
You are better off taking it to someone who has all the spares to hand for them to swap around and then only charge u for the parts needed. If you just keep buying bits until you find the right part, it could cost you a lot more.

indykid

posted on 31/12/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
is it not covered under your home and contents insurance?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.