Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Flexi brake pipe thread
shortie

posted on 25/6/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Flexi brake pipe thread

Does anyone happy to know what the thread is on the flexi brake pipe\female brake union as I want to get some thin nuts to hold the flexi secure in a little bracket I have made up.

thanks,
Rich.

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/6/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Usually M10 x 1mm offset

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
IFAIK the thread is a bit special and I don't imagine there is a tap/rollers off the shelf. Maybe a small subcontractor with a CNC lathe could produce a bundle of them.

I've even thought of buying a CNC lathe meself to produce a few bits.

geoffe

posted on 25/6/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe thread

10 mm. fine (1.0 mm pitch) Just bought some myself for exactly the same job.
RoadkillUK

posted on 26/6/04 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm (if it needs it) 10mm fine.

Bought some 2 weeks back from BBN Fastnet.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 26/6/04 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just a small bit of slightly relevant info. here.....

Unlike most of the inch threads where there a coarse and fine range, in metric there is usually a standard thread which is coarse and usually more than one fine thread, so it is always best to add on the actual pitch to the size (as Mark and Geoffe did) although only one fine size is considered standard, in this case the actual listed standard M10 fine thread is a 1.25 pitch........so although the M10x1.0 is very common it is not the standard fine thread usually listed....

All according BS 3643: Part 2: 1981

So the moral is, to be absolutely certain specify the pitch too..........

Hmm.....I think I need to get a life...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DEAN C.

posted on 26/6/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have always known metric coarse to be known as standard,anything less(10x1.25) as fine,and something like 10x1mm would be referred to as superfine.
A common fix when stuck for locking nuts is to cut a brake female end down to size.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

dozracing

posted on 26/6/04 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have stacks of these nuts to hand mail me offlist and i'll send you some.

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Alan B

posted on 26/6/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
I have always known metric coarse to be known as standard,

Yes, agreed....

quote:
anything less(10x1.25) as fine,and something like 10x1mm would be referred to as superfine.

Not heard that personally......so how would you categorise M8 with it's 3 different fine threads? (M8x0.5, M8x0.75, M8x1.0) M8x1.25 being the coarse(standard) version.

I'm not really trying pick an arguement over nothing here, only just to say it is always wise adding the pitch onto metric sizes to be certain to get the right size......

DEAN C.

posted on 27/6/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,
I did say referred to! Don't know the exact answer to your question on 8mm threads,only been in engineering for 24 years so I dont know everything.
I've personally always referred to anything less than a standard fine thread as superfine..

All the best DEAN.......
I'll have to blow the dust off my old books from all those years ago at tech college ....

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Alan B

posted on 28/6/04 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dean...yeah about that long myself......old gits aren't we...?

The gist of what I was saying was (and I'm sure you'll agree).....it doesn't hurt to include the pitch when spec'ing metric fasteners/taps etc...

I hear you about the dusty old books too...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.