Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thought i had bought a car but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
joni

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
thought i had bought a car but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ok keep this short i done a deal for a rolling chassic agreed the price and a price for the other party to meet me at the ferry so i booked boat and next day the fella sent me an email to say that he is selling the car to someone else for more more money and said sorry
so i emailed him back to say no chance i have a witten agrement to say that he was selling the car to me ie email agreeing price
so what can i do he starting makeing excuses that he cant get a trailer now so i have said i would go and lift the car and thats last i heard
jonny

Killer

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say that although you've got something in writing he really doesn't have to sell it to you, however that said I believe that he should do the honourable thing and sell it to you if an agreement has been made, if not and its already been sold then he should offer to pay for any expenses that you're out of pocket by.

Probably not what you want to hear and and I'm sorry that you've been messed about, its certainly not nice but there is worse things in life to worry about, the karma police will get him in the end!

Take it easy

Rich

steve m

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree, go and have a beer, and curse the seller, and move on

The right one will turn up, and be better !!

myke pocock

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt his agreement constitute a legal agreement as it is written down if I understand you correctly? If thats the case anyone could get out of an agreement if someone else ups the bid after the first buyer agrees a price with the seller. Why not go to the Citizens Advice Bureau or your local Legal Advice office?
ReMan

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, sadly cut your losses.
Tell yourself it was not meant to be

balidey

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
if no money has changed hands then I suggest you walk away. I wouldn't want to be dealing with someone with that attitude.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Whether theres anything you can do or not... What's the point, it would take far too much effort to get the car so walk away.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

pekwah1

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same thing with a different car.
Had agreed the price and sale and i told him when i'd be there to pick it up.

He gave me a call "out of courtesy" the night before to tell me he'd sold it to someone else for more. I then presceded to go a bit mental at him as i'd already sorted stuff to afford it. He then just said sorry and hung up. He called back 30 mins later saying that he felt bad about it and the car was mine again.

I then told him where to shove it as i didn't want to do business with someone like him. He then told me he'd already told the other guy no, but i figured it wasn't meant to be, and now i have a 7 instead!

So take it as an omen....

gingerprince

posted on 4/1/11 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you have any rights to the car, but if you've booked a boat from NI to mainland or whatever that's not refundable, then provided you've got written agreement from him to sell the car to you you should at least be able to reclaim the nonrefundable costs from him, whether that be by mutual agreement or small claims. Assuming that you're "reasonably out of pocket" for what you've booked based on your agreement.
joni

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
Don't think you have any rights to the car, but if you've booked a boat from NI to mainland or whatever that's not refundable, then provided you've got written agreement from him to sell the car to you you should at least be able to reclaim the nonrefundable costs from him, whether that be by mutual agreement or small claims. Assuming that you're "reasonably out of pocket" for what you've booked based on your agreement.

hi well the boat was £340 for van and trailer and one passenger quite a lot of money and realy pissed off

Valtra

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
ouch!!!

That's one thing with ebay at least you have a legally binding contract . Sad to say all you have is his word against yours. Can't blame you for being angry but it won't help

Theshed

posted on 5/1/11 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
An oral agreement to purchase a car is as binding as any other agreement. If that agreement is evidenced by an exchange of e-mails then there ought to be no difficulty proving its existence but if the car has been sold and delivered to a third party you will not obtain "specific performance" that is an order that he complete the sale. You will be left with a claim for damages and unless the car was a bargain that will be just your wasted costs - no sane person would go near a court for such a small sum its not worth it - chances are the case would be on the mainland!

NB insofar as this contains legal advice it is not meant to be relied upon etc etc

norm007

posted on 5/1/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
hi well the boat was £340 for van and trailer and one passenger quite a lot of money and realy pissed off

If I were you, I would still jump on the ferry, Have a good night on the p**s, then in a drunken stupor, name and shame him on here, and then abuse him via email!!!!!

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snapper

posted on 5/1/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on the wording in the email, you have a contract in law, the fact the you paid for transport after an agreement to collect the goods with payment on collection, and the the seller tried to cancel the contract, stating that he had sold it for moe, entitles you to compensation for your losses.
Small claims court is the route to go and as long as your email trail shows an agreement to sell by the seller, to buy by you, the agreement to meet to exchange goods for money then you have a contract.
Sue him or ge will do it again

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

BenB

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

If you've agreed a price then it's a contract. Even if it was verbally. Of course verbal contracts are difficult to prove If you've got it in e-mail then he's in breach.
Personally I'd just request the money you spent organising what turned out to be a wild goose chase. If all else fails a little small claims court action might not be out of order.

interestedparty

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
You could certainly sue him but you will need to invest £25 to start a money claim online. The thing is, if he doesn't pay and makes you take it to court, the question will arise as to whether or not for you to invest £340 in boat and trailer (and for him to be aware of that), is reasonable and it I was the judge I doubt I would agree with you.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

joni

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
only one thing is that i dont have his address only phone number and email addy

[Edited on 5/1/11 by joni]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.