Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor vehicle docs...
mk1storm

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Donor vehicle docs...

Hi guys.

First post, but been lurking in the background for a while!

I’m getting closer now to IVA and registration time etc and am starting to think about the paperwork. Yeah I know, I should have been thinking about this a long time ago in hindsight but you know how it goes…

Can anyone tell me what the DVLA actually need from the donor as proof of its identify and therefore the origin of the parts in order to get the age related plate?

I have the following bits and pieces:

- Its chassis plates
- Its last MOT certificate
- A receipt for the purchase of the vehicle from a garage (but not in my name, sold to the guy who I bought the part-built kit off)
- The two lower sections of the V5 registration document, but not the whole thing.

Is this enough for them?!

The donor was never put into my name and was scrapped before I got the part-built kit so I don’t expect I could get it transferred into my name (and therefore get a new complete V5) even if I wanted… I do have a receipt of the sale of the part-built kit to me, so that ties up that part of the story at least.

auroan

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
If it's been scrapped (ie the DVLA has been told it's been scrapped) the identity no longer exists. So the V5 will never be re-issued, and you will have to apply for a "Q" plate.
loggyboy

posted on 10/1/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Buy another donor, unless you want a Q plate.
(and of course I wouldnt suggest that you buy a v5 of someone who didnt officially scrap the car)

[Edited on 10/1/11 by loggyboy]

lewis

posted on 10/1/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sierra in a file lol

[Edited on 10/1/11 by lewis]

lewis

posted on 10/1/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Double Post

[Edited on 10/1/11 by lewis]

coozer

posted on 10/1/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need the V5 for a new registration.

Fill in the forms and give the old V5 as proof of engine and tell them this was the donor.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

hillbillyracer

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any way to check if the it's been registered scrapped on the DVLA computer? If you check it on the DVLA site & it comes up would that mean it still exists as such? If so you could just apply for the logbook & you'd be the registered keeper, all above board & legal.
mk1storm

posted on 11/1/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, thanks very much for the replies!

Yeah it got me thinking as to whether the original kit owner did scrap it and delcare it as scrapped or not so I did a data check thing last night and it's still on the system thankfully.

I could therefore fill out one of their V62 forms and include the lower section of the V5 and in theory get the complete V5 back in my name.... BUT... I can see that either it's tax or SORN date expired in 2003 (4 years before I bought the kit) so I'm wondering if I'm going to get landed with a fine for not getting the keeper details changed or even fine(s) for the SORN/tax not being sorted...

Any experience of this sort of thing?

speedyxjs

posted on 11/1/11 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mk1storm
I'm wondering if I'm going to get landed with a fine for not getting the keeper details changed or even fine(s) for the SORN/tax not being sorted...

Any experience of this sort of thing?

Wont be a problem. How do i know? I sold a car a couple of years ago as spares or repair and the buyer said he would post the forms on the way home but never did

12 months later i end up with a £60 fine as it was my responsibility to make sure it was posted. Lesson learned

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mk1storm

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that reply speedyxjs!! Put my mind a little more at ease now.

Ok, will send in the V62 form and get it sorted.

One final question then (hopefully). Should I put the date sold on the form as the date I bought the part-built kit which was back in 2007 or put today's date?

I'm thinking if I were to put today's date then it might seem strange why the vehicle changed hands only now, but the car has been built up for a good while. I think the V5 only records the keeper, I suppose it's possible for me to have been using the car for the parts, but only now changed the details over...
If I put the date for buying the car as 2007 then would I be likely to get a fine for tax from that date or am I still in the clear?

Sorry, that was more than one final question!!

loggyboy

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Put the date as recently, that way any fine will defo end up on the previous owners door step!

However if he didnt scrap it, and the v5 is still in his name, he should have been getting reminders to sorn it. Which would indicate to me he has declared it scapped.

[Edited on 11/1/11 by loggyboy]

mk1storm

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
No it's definitely not scrapped. Still live on DVLA system, but not been taxed since 2003.

The guy i got the part-built kit off had poor health and was selling up (everything!) and was moving to Spain. Yeah I know this sounds like a dodgy sorry, but it is what happened (he was rather upset about not finishing it off) so from that point of view he'd not have recieved the SORN or tax reminders since 2007, however the tax ran out in 2003 so I can only assume that he also didn't register it in his own name. He bought it from a trader so perhaps the car is still registered as that?! I can't tell from the lower part of the V5 who the registered keeper actually is.

Ok, so lets say I register it from now on and hopefully avoid any risk of fines for tax etc. what happens following IVA and I come to register if the V5 shows the date of keeper change as being quite recent? Does it matter? Am I worrying about nothing here?!

prawnabie

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I find it very funny indeed how 99% of this site jumps on the ringer bandwagon when someone on ebay tries to sell somthing with suspicious paperwork, or just suspicious paper work, yet no one thinks anything of forging/sharing receipts or supplying a logbook that is nothing to do with the car in question when trying to navigate the IVA process!
mk1storm

posted on 11/1/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know it's not the right way to go about it, but the donor vehicle I'm decribing was legitimately the donor of the parts on my car.

I'd therefore like to get the paperwork sorted so that I can complete the process but for sure I should have got the owner of the kit to have got the registration document stuff sorted there and then and then I'd not be in this position.

At the time I bought the part-built kit I was stupidly more interested in checking out the quality of the job he'd made on the build up to that point rather than double checking all the paperwork.

mk1storm

posted on 11/1/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think I will send off for the V5 in my name using the V62 form and the lower section of the V5 I have and go from there.

At least then I will have the V5 for the donor which supplied the parts on my car. If I have any issues come registration time then I'll have to argue the case then I guess.

Since the previous owner can't of registered it himself I assume the donor is still registered as with the trader. I would therefore expect that any issues with fines would go to them as they should have registered it to the guy I bought the kit off when they sold it to him.

Thanks for your help guys.

mk1storm

posted on 10/2/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, just thought I'd give an update on this, in case it's of use to someone else.

In the end I did send off for a V5C using the V62 form, declared SORN at the same time using one of their other forms and put the date I sent the forms off as the date I took 'keepership' of the vehicle.

Got the V5C form back, no issues. Vehicle now SORN'd til Jan next year too.

Realised that the previous owner had registered it in his name after all, but he didn't SORN because it ran out of tax before the SORN electronic fine date of 2004 (SORN came in before this date, but the DVLA system wasn't fining automatically at that point) and therefore wasn't getting reminders. It also means no fines will go to the previous owner for not declaring SORN.

Cheers...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.