Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie with too many idea!
rich.h44

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie with too many idea!

Hi guys my names rich I'm 27 and from hull,
well for years iv wanted to build a locost kit car so over the past few days iv been doing a lot of reading and researching, and I decieded I want to build from scratch (I helped build a pinto one years ago) and enjoyed it the only problem duering the build was building the wish bones and self centering! So iv ordered Ron champions book to help me on my way!
Let's start with what I want an economical ish daily driver that will live outside!
So wile iv been looking around iv seen some plans for a wider and longer chassis, why have people done this and what are the advantage's?
My main ideas iv got are engines??? Id realy love to have a Cosworth powered 4x4 (perfairably 2.0ltr) car or a Honda S2000 powered one iv been for a passanger ride and WOW is all I can say! After looking around here I see some people doing the mx5 engine, so I'm unsure which route to go! Please fire any ideas at me!
Also I'd like it to be my daily car so I'm thinking on trying to get a hard top made with some doors! What you think about this?
Right I'm going to do some more reading,
Any tip help or advice will be very greatfull
kind regards
rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how your engine options fit in the locost scheme of things as I built from a kit, but i guess anything is possible. I reckon if you want a daily driver then the MX5 would make a lot of sense as more and more people are using them and they are ultra reliable and decent on fuel. I think the hardtop/doors idea could be tricky to get right fuctionally and aesthetically. Nice to see another in Hull

[Edited on 11/1/11 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm scratch building a McSorley 442 which is 4" longer 4" wider and 2" taller. I think it was the right decision for me (6' 4" and 16st). The plans can be found here.

The only issues I had were how to make the front wishbones, because the car is wider and hence the rear-end (I used a 52" live axle) the front wishbones needed to be longer to keep the width similar. My main worry was that if I just made them longer, the angle between the long arms would be too shallow and make it weak, so I carried the arms out to the required length and moved the arm mount points further apart to suit. If you need any piccies I should have a couple somewhere.

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rich.h44

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wow someone else from hull, I'd like to meet up sometime and have a look around your car if that's ok see if I can get any ideas!

So is the whole car wider or just the rear? I can see the problem sort of, Id like to make mine wider (just for stance and handling) but I don't think I'd like the extra hight or lenght!

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't Luego got a place in Hull?
RichardK

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rich.h44

So wile iv been looking around iv seen some plans for a wider and longer chassis, why have people done this a

Cos I'm a tall fat bastard

Love

Rich

rayward

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum !!!,

if your after a bigger chassis, take a look at the mcsorley 442 plans,

i'd dare say that all of your engine options are possible, but for a daily driver may be a bit of a handful in such a lightweight car.

for a daily i would got for something tried and tested like the zetec, or the MX5 as you mentioned, again roof and doors are both quite doable, you just need either plenty of cash, or some time and skills on your hands !!

hth

Ray

Hellfire

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse. Ever considered a bike engine?..................

Phil

rich.h44

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Haha I'm only 5ft8 n 13 stone
rich.h44

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ray I didn't think of useing the mx5 roof to try use as a doner, are they realy that hard to handle with having too much power? I'd like something with a nice kick up ass for weekends and runs to the seaside!

Cheers phil it's crossed my mind but not looked into it to be honest but if it was easy enough n cost the same then yeah! Iv been for a passanger ride in a zcars hyabussa 1300 engined mini it errr did a wheelie!

oadamo

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cos I'm a tall fat bastard

Love

Rich

tul214

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Haven't Luego got a place in Hull?

Luego are in Scotland.....Roadrunner have moved to Newport nr. Hull.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

AdrianH

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
For a wider car have you considered the other build such as the Haynes roadster, I believe that is 2 inch wider? then the locost.

If you want a daily driver and want roof and doors why not look at Robin Hood Cars perhaps the Zero typically there is soft-top and side doors for their cars.

Just two more suggestions to consider.

Adrian 6ft and 15 1/2 stone miserable old git!

[Edited on 11-1-11 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

daniel mason

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
im doing an s2000 install in an mnr vortx. take a look in my blog for a few pics. its a bit further on now,i just need to update my blog. if you have any questions feel free to u2u me a message

rich.h44

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Adrian iv not come across the roadster yet but I will look into it and also I hate the look of the robin hoods, I'm not sure what it is about them, might be the front arches!

What's the differance between them all? Any ideas?

Danile good look with the build I will have a look though your blog thanks!

This maybe going of topic but dare I say it anyone gone vag? Mabe a bam engine from a TT?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.