Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4age bellhousing?
steve4age

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
4age bellhousing?

Hi all, brand new to this site, I hope you don't mind me asking:

Is there a difference between mr2 mk1 bellhousing and corolla ae86 bellhousing?
Trying to mate a type 9 to a 4age with an adapter plate which utilises the 4age bellhousing... But not sure which one?
Also which type uses cable / hydraulic actuation for clutch?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

russbost

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Can't answer the first bit tho I think MR2 & Corolla are interchangeable, MR2 is defo hydraulic clutch

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SPYDER

posted on 13/1/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
All 4AGE share the same bolt pattern and dowel positions. The position of the starter motor might vary though between the MR2 and AE86.
Note: if the engine is from an MR2 or FWD Corolla it will require the fitting of a spigot bearing in the end of the crank in order to accept the input shaft.

Geoff

deezee

posted on 13/1/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just buy an 4AGE to Type9 bellhousing off RAW or have they stopped selling them now?

steve4age

posted on 13/1/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the replies.
How easy would it be to make 4age clutch operate with cable, anyone done this?

So all gearboxes which were originally bolted to a 4age (mr2,corollas fwd/rwd) have the same bolt/dowel pattern on the bellhousing to gearbox side?
Therfore I could use a rwd ae86 b'housing on a fwd mr2 for example?

Also what starter motor is used for type 9 to 4age?

Cheers
Steve

bi22le

posted on 13/1/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to this forum. Its the best kit car one on the web, no doubt.

I have a 4age 20V blacktop from AE101 with a type 9 gearbox so I can double check the details if you want.

Send me a U2U with what you want to know.

As far as I understand the 4age are all the same regardless of FWD RWD set up. Things like the starter motor and ancelleries may be different though. My 4age clutch is cable operated. I dont think its got any kind of mod that has been done to get the cable operated. A call to RAW may help although they have just been taken over so dont hold your breath.

The other great site for 4age and kit cars is JPSC.net They deal with the Fury, Striker and others that have had 4ages in so they know alot. For spares of 4age and 4age info in particular driftworks is a great site. I brought a spare 4age sump off of the forum within 24 hours of putting my wanted post up, it only cost £10 to!!

HTH

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SPYDER

posted on 13/1/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of info re. 4AGE RWD conversion on the following site.
Not specifically type 9 stuff but worth a look with regard to ancilliaries.

4AGE RWD LINKY

deezee

posted on 13/1/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve4age

So all gearboxes which were originally bolted to a 4age (mr2,corollas fwd/rwd) have the same bolt/dowel pattern on the bellhousing to gearbox side?

Cheers
Steve

You can use a 4AGE starter Motor if your using a proper conversion bellhousing, or an original T50 gearbox out of a Corolla. I see what you mean about transverse gearboxs, but I'd wish you'd stop calling an MR2 Front Wheel Drive The gearboxes on the MR2 MK1 had an integral bellhousing. As do virtually all transverse gearboxes. They share a bolt pattern as the engine they went onto are the same, but thats it.

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 13/1/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spare rwd Toyota gearbox in the garage but no bellhousing if it's any use to you for a few beer tokens. I think it's a W50. There's a pic in my photos somewhere... there's a gearstick for it too!

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

SPYDER

posted on 13/1/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
The pic in your archive is a W50 as you thought. The W50 gearbox featured on 78-81 Celicas, none of which had an "A" series engine. So a bellhousing to match up to a 4AGE won't exist.
I'm not saying you couldn't adapt it though.
I have a T50 gearbox on the back of a 3SGE, achieved through a lot of re-machining kerfuffle.

The W50 is heavy too.
If you could find a T50 with the correct "A" series bellhousing ( from RWD Corolla ) then that would be my weapon of choice.
The T50 is light and has a very sweet gearchange. Well, mine has at least.
Not easy to find though, and expensive to rebuild or repair in comparison to the type 9.
Probably not as strong either. Allegedly.

Geoff

steve4age

posted on 16/1/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
quote:
Originally posted by steve4age

Cheers
Steve

You can use a 4AGE starter Motor if your using a proper conversion bellhousing, or an original T50 gearbox out of a Corolla. I see what you mean about transverse gearboxs, but I'd wish you'd stop calling an MR2 Front Wheel Drive The gearboxes on the MR2 MK1 had an integral bellhousing. As do virtually all transverse gearboxes. They share a bolt pattern as the engine they went onto are the same, but thats it.
Ds

I meant fwd corolla!!
Thanks for the info chaps, great help.
I think the bellhousing from raw etc is the best bet then. Sounds like too much messing around to source t50 bellhousing.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.