Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a roll bar
nick-york

posted on 13/1/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
fitting a roll bar

what is the best way to fit my roll bar please ? I would prefer to bolt it on so it could be removed or changed easier in the future . The only problem is that there would only be enough room on the mounting plates to fit two bolts on each side . would this be good enough for iva or do i need to completely weld this ?
blakep82

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
well, for IVA you don't have to have one. so, you could do the IVA without it, and fit it after, with as many bolts as you can get in. not sure i'd be happy with only 2 bolts in each side, but if thats the best you can do, then so be it.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_wasa

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
well, for IVA you don't have to have one. so, you could do the IVA without it, and fit it after, with as many bolts as you can get in. not sure i'd be happy with only 2 bolts in each side, but if thats the best you can do, then so be it.

Sort of true but on 7 its hard to get the top seatblelt mounts high enough with out sticking them in the roll bar. As soon as you do this you wil need more bolts.

nick205

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of roll bar is it? If it's a single hoop then realistically bolting or welding it won't make much difference to how it performs in a roll - it would fold pretty quickly. It would need to be braced to the rear of the chasis to suitable plates welded into the lower part of the chasis to offer much protection. In that case welding it in (IMHO) is better as it removes a point of failure - i.e. bolts as you'd have to weld plates on to bolt through.

nick-york

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Sort of true but on 7 its hard to get the top seatblelt mounts high enough with out sticking them in the roll bar. As soon as you do this you wil need more bolts.
SORRY forgot to mention that the roll bar has the upper harness fixings on !! So i assume it must need welding on rather than the two bolts either side ?

big_wasa

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Your four seat belt bolts will be 7/16" so you wont get away with four m8's you will need four each side or weld it on.

Thats just my opinion.

nick-york

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
What sort of roll bar is it? If it's a single hoop then realistically bolting or welding it won't make much difference to how it performs in a roll - it would fold pretty quickly. It would need to be braced to the rear of the chasis to suitable plates welded into the lower part of the chasis to offer much protection. In that case welding it in (IMHO) is better as it removes a point of failure - i.e. bolts as you'd have to weld plates on to bolt through.
If single hoop means one going full width of the locost then that is what type it is .So welding it on with some extra bracing seems the way forward then.

blakep82

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
IVA says seat belts should be 7/16" unf or equivalent strength, not recommended but 12.9 grade M8's are probably a bit stronger. therefore, 2 M8 12.9 bolts each side on the roll bar will probably be alright and just as strong (technically, but may not be satisfactory to the tester on appearance) I would prefer its welded in all round though. remember the roll bar is there for a very good reason, it should be as strong as possible, and if all bolts can't be fitted, then get it welded in

[Edited on 13/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nick-york

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks once again everybody .problem solved . cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.