Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Legal / Religious Musings...
scootz

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Legal / Religious Musings...

First things first... I am not a believer in anything other than 'I am' and 'you are' and that one day we will cease to be.

Anyway, I was just thinking about our legal system (as it relates to Scotland). I've been a Crown witness on dozens of occasions and when asked if I will take the Oath prior to giving my testimony, I have instead requested to Affirm. More often than not this has resulted in people looking at me as if I have two heads!

My point is this: There is not a single shred of proof that a God exists. It's fair to say that some think a God exists only because someone else told them so. That's called hearsay and hearsay is not given much credence in court - in fact, it's mostly prohibited and often cannot be heard!

Why then is the validity of peoples entire testimony heard on the basis of the greatest example of hearsay that there ever was!?

Yours confusedly!

Scootz

It's Evolution Baby!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote

This should be worth watching......

[Edited on 14/1/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
lol never thought about that. i definitely agree though. if i'm ever a witness (never have been yet) i'm going to say exactly what you wrote there. should be fun

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Do forgive my lack of forum etiquette... I've just remembered that it's bad manners to start such a thread without first supplying a complimentary bowl of

It's Evolution Baby!

tomgregory2000

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Oooooooooooo a big bowl Yum Yum
speedyxjs

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Do forgive my lack of forum etiquette... I've just remembered that it's bad manners to start such a thread without first supplying a complimentary bowl of

Mmmm yummy! I do hope i dont get any customers in the next hour or so. Il be watching this one

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jabbahutt

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting point, never been in a court. So if a witness isn't Christian what are they asked to do as an oath? Anyone any ideas, i.e do they have several holy books handy and a different card to read from depending on your faith?

scootz

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can't remember seeing any non-christians giving evidence in court... I would guess that they would have to affirm as Scots Law certainly is heavily entrenched in so-called christian-values.

That said... it's been some years now since I was last in a courtroom, so things might have changed. You can probably swear a Thetan Oath on one of Ron L Hubbards Scientology paperbacks these days!

It's Evolution Baby!

mr_pr

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wiki....

My Build Progress

Peteff

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Is it like the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lay awake at night wondering if there really is a dog an whether he is truly omnivorous? Some people need a prop to make sense of their existence. In the words of Emile Zola "Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest!"

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting. It would be interesting to end an oath with "so help me aliens" and if it doesn't slip through explain that you don't believe in God, but you do believe in aliens.

What do Nihilists do?

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
the whole system is out of date, we'd be far better off if we could 'clean out' the religon from the legal & political stuff (and the schools too but thats another argument)

just because you don't beleve in a particular religon doesn't mean you have to disagree with the values / morals
(or even the festivals for that matter - most of the chrstian ones are probably alot older than christianity....)

at this point in the argument its normally a good time to start quoting another edinburgh man:
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"

"The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles, but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without one"

"No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish"

"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous"

"Be a philosopher but, amid all your philosophy be still a man"

"I have written on all sorts of subjects... yet I have no enemies; except indeed all the Whigs, all the Tories, and all the Christians"

and many, many more.....
David Hume 1711 - 1776

I'm not going to suggest that everyone shouldn't be able to beleve what they like (so long as they don't hurt anyone else) - but we could do without it in Law etc....

[Edited on 14/1/2011 by mcerd1]

-

jollygreengiant

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry, there is only ONE god.
All hail the Flying Spagetti Monster.

Aaaar Jim lad.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

scootz

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I'm sorry, there is only ONE god.
All hail the Flying Spagetti Monster.

Aaaar Jim lad.

Can't beat a spot of Pastafarianism!

It's Evolution Baby!

carpmart

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's nice for people to believe what they want to believe in!

At least religion provides a set of value for people to live by. Imagine no religion and no laws, not sure that society would rub a long too well!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe Locostbuilders should swear on "The Book".

Ninehigh

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Maybe Locostbuilders should swear on "The Book".

When do we get the "New testament" known as the Single-Seater book?

Strontium Dog

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Richard Dawkins.

http://richarddawkins.net/

I think relegion (all of them) is the worst thing to ever fall upon this world, and probabaly any other! More pain, suffering, wars etc due to religion than any or probabaly everything else in our history as bipeds.

Over half of all americans by religious denomination believe that this planet is less than 10,000 years old FFS! And they are the most powerful single nation on earth with the biggest bombs and the belief that GOD is on their side.

I'm not into censorship or banning things but if I were, then it would be religion. Room 101 here it comes!

Theshed

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
I think it's nice for people to believe what they want to believe in!

At least religion provides a set of value for people to live by. Imagine no religion and no laws, not sure that society would rub a long too well!

Ahh how sweet of you to quote John Lennon - trouble is I think you reversed the sentiment.....

The Spanish Inquisition was a great example of a highly religious society with its laws and practice firmly steeped in religion - I love the smell of burning flesh in the mornings. Saudi Arabia's legal system is founded on religious beliefs with pleasant practices such as chopping off hands and heads.

morcus

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Religious belief is much like political conviction, you can't truely lack either as not having one would amount to an ideology.

I don't believe that the earth is only 10,000 years old but if someone believes in an all powerful god that can do anything it's in no way difficult for the planet to be that young and secondly, I don't really think it makes much in the way of difference.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Christianity It is the belief that a two-thousand-year-old Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple off a magical tree in a wonderland.

[Edited on 15-1-11 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

you don't have to be a religous man to be a moral man - its another thing Davie Hume said (lots of times)

who says that we wouldn't have any laws just because we didn't have any religon, laws are (or should be) just what the majority of people agree too

-

Ninehigh

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's a shame really, because most religions really can be summed up by something like "Be excellent to one another"

But someone had to add "Provided you are like me, otherwise I shall have to kill you" and it all started to fall apart...

CaptainJosh

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
As I christian I don't enjoy the agressive comments towards our faith, but I do believe you have the right to believe what you want and therefore to not believe what you want. Afterall its your choice.

It just unsettles me how many people are ANTI religion, as apposed to not religious.

Maybe next time some of you speak/write with harsh words you'll remmember its normal people, and in this case a fellow car builder, on the other end.

[Edited on 14/1/11 by CaptainJosh]

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's a bec cec thing. We each make our choice, and to critisise is small minded.

Also, assuming all Christians are creationists is like saying all atheists think life on earth actually started due to alien life.

It's easyto be narrow minded if you read everything that is pumped out at you regarding the other "side" but in the same way a load if rubbish is spoken about evolution to diss it, there is just as much rubbish spouted about religion to make it sound like only emotional wrecks with no grasp of scientific principles should look into it.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.