Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter tinkering
Yazza54

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Winter tinkering

Finally managed to get it out of the garage and take some half decent pics before.

New clear full size aero screen fitted, new headlamp covers, new reg, all bodywork done (bit of crazing), completely de-stickered it, flatshift as already mentioned in another thread, airbox fitted to cut down the induction noise for trackdays (actually sounds better), lots of other general bits of tidying. Can't wait to get back out in it for a proper drive!!

T66

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Looks clean ! and suits the Aero screen

Yazza54

posted on 14/1/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

RazMan

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good! Is that airbox a Pipercross? It looks like it has a lower profile than normal.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Yazza54

posted on 14/1/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep PX600, as you can see I've had to move it over where there was more space but it all fits nice now.

Dusty

posted on 15/1/11 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
With an N reg prefix (95/96), silver on black plates might invite unwanted attention from the BIB.
matt_gsxr

posted on 15/1/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting to see whether those plates give you trouble. I have a stick on, but have stuck with standard colouring.

I notice that you now have quite long intake tracts, according to basic theory this may boost low end (with the obvious drop up top). Have you got a wideband for looking to see if the fueling is affected. It might be interesting. If you haven't then I don't think there is any risk to the engine, just interesting.

Looking very nice.

Matt

Yazza54

posted on 15/1/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I know a few people with them on kit cars that havent had any trouble. Also know a lot of people who don't even bother putting front plates on! If it happens it happens and I'll change them. We shall see!

lewis

posted on 15/1/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Looks really nice mate,I would love one of these in the future.
Yazza54

posted on 15/1/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Interesting to see whether those plates give you trouble. I have a stick on, but have stuck with standard colouring.

I notice that you now have quite long intake tracts, according to basic theory this may boost low end (with the obvious drop up top). Have you got a wideband for looking to see if the fueling is affected. It might be interesting. If you haven't then I don't think there is any risk to the engine, just interesting.

Looking very nice.

Matt

I thought it may give a bit more torque. Not driven it yet so can't confirm, I doubt the fuelling would change dramatically but it may run a but richer now? I may check the a/f ratio as I know a couple of people with the equipment, but not going full blown rolling road dyno session til it's been cammed.

adithorp

posted on 15/1/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good.

Is the air-box supported on brackets. I've heard of a few where they've pulled the throttles off thier rubbers.
The screen may prove to be too high in the wet. Weldermans was like that and looked good but wasn't practical in use.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/1/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

Looking very nice.

Matt

I thought it may give a bit more torque. Not driven it yet so can't confirm, I doubt the fuelling would change dramatically but it may run a but richer now? I may check the a/f ratio as I know a couple of people with the equipment, but not going full blown rolling road dyno session til it's been cammed.

You could go old-skool and do a plug chop to check the fueling in a crude fashion. Given you extensive work, an innovate LC-1 and lambda sensor would be a cheap way of knowing where you are. I found mine brilliant when messing around with fueling (before I megasquirted the engine, when it became essential).

Regarding noticeable torque changes, I think the "Backside dynamometer" is pretty much useless on BEC's. These cars are so different to cars that we normally drive I suspect that detecting a 5% change is all but impossible.

Matt

indykid

posted on 16/1/11 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
i can only see that inlet duct reducing power

Yazza54

posted on 16/1/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Any reason.......?

I can't see it making a noticeable difference either way. It's not a performance mod, it's to shut it up for trackdays and it has worked so im happy.

bassett

posted on 16/1/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work! Looks neat under the bonnet, let me know how you get on with the airbox as ive been thinking about one for a while and curious if it will improve/reduce performance over a sausage filter.
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

indykid

posted on 18/1/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Any reason.......?

I can't see it making a noticeable difference either way. It's not a performance mod, it's to shut it up for trackdays and it has worked so im happy.

the number of direction changes and the convoluted bore of the pipe will add pretty significant drag to the incoming flow. the huge bore may compensate for it, but it's still suboptimal.

a straight pipe to the duct at the front would be better, but if you're happy as it is, fair enough

Yazza54

posted on 18/1/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:
Any reason.......?

the number of direction changes and the convoluted bore of the pipe will add pretty significant drag to the incoming flow. the huge bore may compensate for it, but it's still suboptimal.

a straight pipe to the duct at the front would be better, but if you're happy as it is, fair enough

Not going to argue but it's easier said than done, it just about fits as is.

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/1/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
My air feed is 3in and straight-ish, and I actually see a bit of ram-air with my map sensor. Also the inlet air temp is much lower on hot days (like 25deg cooler).

I don't know how restrictive those corners are on yours, but I would have thought you would gain much more from air temperature (and hence density) than anything else.

You could build a little u-tube manometer (clear hose, bit of coloured water) and see what happens to the air pressure in the airbox.

Yazza54

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well I drove it today. Hard to tell whether it's any quicker than last time I drove it, but pulls very strong and sounds better so job well done as far as I'm concerned. Either way, still f'kin mental.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.