Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: st170 cambelt change inlet pulley
ianjenn

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
st170 cambelt change inlet pulley

i All,
I am having trouble changing the cambelt on my st170. I have followed these instructions to the letter but struggling when tightening the inlet pulley.

http://www.dj-sures.com/G raphicFiles/Ford%20Focus%20Documentation/documentation/ford%20Manual%20Files/Cam%20Timing.html

I have locked the cam with the bar at the end, crankshaft pin in place, then used a spanner to lock the cam itself. then used an improvised device to hold the pulley too. BUT when I tighten the torx bolt in the pulley to 120nm the VVT adjuster inside the pully moves the timing so that after I rotate the crankshaft by two rotations, it is now out of alignment by some margin. Does anyone know the procedure for tightening the inlet pulley with vvt to ensure timing is maintained
thanks
alex

RichardK

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure Coozer (Steve) has played with his cam chain, maybe worth a u2u?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dilley

posted on 15/1/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
120nm sounds quite a bit!
jonesier1

posted on 16/1/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
120 mn is the correct torque,is the vvt unit in its rest position ,sounds like you mite have it turned hence it moves when you tighten it ?

im in my own little world...its ok though they know me there

ianjenn

posted on 16/1/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
What happens is that when you tighten the pulley bolt to 120nm, it rotates the vvt mechanism even if you hold both the cam and pulley in position. Then when you turn the crankshaft the exhaust cam starts turning before the inlet cam. You continue to rotate through two revolutions and then insert the crank pin. The exhaust cam is perfectly aligned but the inlet cam is not. However putting a spanner on the inlet cam it can be turned anticlockwise without the pulley turning against the VVT mechanism. This then puts the cam back into the correct position but upon turning the crank again the inlet cam lags behind. Is this correct. still need help
thanks
alex

coozer

posted on 16/1/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianjenn
What happens is that when you tighten the pulley bolt to 120nm, it rotates the vvt mechanism even if you hold both the cam and pulley in position. Then when you turn the crankshaft the exhaust cam starts turning before the inlet cam. You continue to rotate through two revolutions and then insert the crank pin. The exhaust cam is perfectly aligned but the inlet cam is not. However putting a spanner on the inlet cam it can be turned anticlockwise without the pulley turning against the VVT mechanism. This then puts the cam back into the correct position but upon turning the crank again the inlet cam lags behind. Is this correct. still need help
thanks
alex

Correcto, I have tried many a time to time the cams. I put the bar through the cams and loosen the exhaust vernier. Get it spot on then turn the engine over 2 turns... inlet cam is out.. advanced about 10 degree's.

I think its cause without the engine running there's no oil pressure and I can turn the inlet pulley maybe 10 degrees or more before it moves the cam. Maybe a trip down to the ford dealer to find out how to do it properly is the best thing.

However seeing as it moves anyway I've just left mine, retarded the exhaust cam 8 degrees and it revs for fun and makes tremendous progress with no problems what so ever (yet) Been all over in mine, maybe 1000~1500 miles on it so I'm not worried at all.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.