Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GPS Logger
greenwood03

posted on 17/1/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
GPS Logger

Thought that i'd make a mention of these neat gizmo's in case the great and the good of Locostbuilders haven't come across them yet.

I bought one to tag decent roads, we've been on a few trips where when we've got back to base we've forgoitten which were the 'cracking' roads - so i biught a £20 logger to note waypoints ( far easier than a normal sat nav as its a 1 click job ). BUT having played with this over the past 2 weekends I can see that there's far more use for it than i first expected.

The software it comes with is designed for photo logging, meaning that if your camera / phone of whatever else is set to the right time/date then it will automatically overlay the pics against the route that you travelled. For example, you turn on the logger as you leave for a blat, and if you want you click it to record extra special waypoints. When you get home you plu it into the PC and also you download your piccies from your camera. Voila, the software shows a 'track' of exactly where you've been complete with info like speed ( at any given point along the route ), and when you click just 1 button to import your piccies you'll find then aligned exactly with where they were taken. You can even change the view to google earth if you prefer.

But for those with websites it gets better....1 click exports the whole lot ( the google map + the photos) to a file that can be immediately uploaded to your site - allowing others to see where you've been ( this version DOESNT show the speed ).

If you're curious here's a link to one that shows our last 2 run outs.....SKCC
( click on the recent runs linky on that page )

So plenty of uses: track day - record your top speed
Blat - record waypoints that interest you....decent road, possibly a pub to revisit
Blat + Piccies - marry the 2 up
Share with pals ( you can elect to email a link if you wish ).
and no doubt more that i've yet to think of.

And all for the princeley sum of £20 or so ( thats a fleabay purchase ) by way of an idea, those 2 tracks that i created in the example took 30% of its memory, bearing in mind that those account for about 300 miles you can record many runs before needing to wipe and overwrite the data ( which isnt a prob as you can save + recall any proveious routes).

Anyway just a thought if you havent come across these beauties as yet.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

rgrs

posted on 17/1/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Link on SKCC not working ?
BenB

posted on 17/1/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
How big is it? Thought about putting one on my RC plane to see how fast it goes
chesney321

posted on 17/1/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
where did you get it from and what make is it.might get myself one
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/1/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the fuzz dont get hold of that if you have been a wee bit heavy on the gas pedal

greenwood03

posted on 17/1/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
@ rgrs - ok that may confirm a suspicion i have that you need to have enabled google maps on your pc and have a maps account. A pal of mine said that he just got a load of 'text' when he opened it, burt as he was the only person that had said he couldnt open it i wasnt sure. Out of interest do you have a 'maps' account set up ?

Anyone else not been able to open the link and same question as above,m if not do you have gmaps account?

Size...titchy - 2/3rds odf teh size of a cig packet in every direction.

Mine is a copy i guess of the iBlue - if you look on the bay there's been a trader selling loads, if i recall they normally started at a £1. i had a few bids at £13-15 before biting the bullet and spening a whole £20! Look for a the trader that is located in this country! similar to this one....
iBlue 747A+ 66 Ch Bluetooth GPS Logger Receiver  NEW UK on eBay (end time 17-Jan-11 21:00:52 GMT)
Untitled Document

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.