Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rover 1.8 engine
phil clegg

posted on 19/1/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
rover 1.8 engine

as above wanted coilpack engine at fair price,need to see runing so may buy full damaged car ,in lancashire or quite near,thanks 07957617548
ChrisW

posted on 20/1/11 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Are you interested in one that needs fixing? I suspect a knackered ring - it smokes like a chimney.

From an MG ZS, so it's the late k-series. I did a head gasket on it a few years back using the land rover 3-layer gasket. The gasket hadn't gone completely but it was weeping oil from the front of the block so he wanted it done. It already had the metal dowels which is reassuring and the liner heights looked good.

I've got to convert it to turbo (T16) power for him. He probably won't want much for it, if anything, especially of you've got any parts we'll need for the turbo conversion.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 20/1/11 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Because it is much more free revving the 1.6 makes a better sports car engine than the 1.8.

[Edited on 20/1/11 by britishtrident]

Daf

posted on 20/1/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have the earlier type FS, if you swap the cams over and fit the different rocker cover there it will be the same as the later type engine. I've done this in reverse many a time!

Regards

scootz

posted on 20/1/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Because it is much more free revving the 1.6 makes a better sports car engine than the 1.8.

Any idea what kind of power the 1.6 capable of... assuming a set of independent throttle-bodies, aftermarket ecu and good mapping?

It's Evolution Baby!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 23/1/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Any idea what kind of power the 1.6 capable of... assuming a set of independent throttle-bodies, aftermarket ecu and good mapping?

Reliable 160 - 180bhp on standard internals. Uprated rods, crank, pistons etc then up to 240 - 250 just about possible (big money). DVA power website for lots of info

scootz

posted on 23/1/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Reliable 160 - 180bhp on standard internals. Uprated rods, crank, pistons etc then up to 240 - 250 just about possible (big money). DVA power website for lots of info

It's Evolution Baby!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 23/1/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
The 160 - 180 mark would need cams aswell as the TB's and ecu. Any bigger power needs the VVC head I believe with work done to it. Wilder cams and ecu maps, uprated internals and bigger and bigger bills to push well into the 200bhp range. Plus rebuilds every several thousand miles! They are good engines though despite their "quirks".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.