Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Lucky Pants Worked !!
RazMan

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
My Lucky Pants Worked !!

After spending the last 15 years or so in self employment I recently decided that it was becoming too much of a slog and it was time to pack it all in and get a proper job The main obstacle I found, was the fact that at 56 years old, I found myself competing with 30-somethings who had better qualifications than me and were willing to work for peanuts. After 200 (yes really) job applications I felt quite disillusioned and wondered if I would ever find someone willing to employ me. I was often told that I was 'over qualified' for the relatively junior positions that I was applying for, but I could tell that they regarded me as an old fart that wouldn't fit in to their kindergarten business plan (ooh did that sound bitter? )

Anyway I stuck my neck out and went for my first real interview with a bigger organisation since I was an apprentice in 1971 It felt a bit strange to be interviewed by guys half my age but hey ho. The interview went well on Wednesday and I just heard that I GOT THE JOB!!!

As from next month I am going back to my (apprentice served) roots and becoming a Telephone Engineer again after a 30 year gap.

Hooray for me!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
nice one
hmm, telephone engineer, needing a new job myself, want a proper job too, fed up of horrible call centre/temp rubbish. might be something to try for myself
good luck! hope you enjoy it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

McLannahan

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Great news Raz!

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
well done 200 is a hell of a lot of applications

I tailor each CV to the job I'm applying for as I have also in the past been told I was too qualified, so just show what is relevant to the job an skirt over with little detail any experience that could seem too much.

[Edited on 21/1/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bbwales

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Raz, still plenty of life in us old uns.

Bob

imp paul

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
nice to see some good news well done hope it goes well for you happy days all the best paul
omega0684

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
so do you have to move to India for the role?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

MikeRJ

posted on 21/1/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'll give you an interview tip; don't wear your lucky pants on your head next time

Congratulations, must be a huge relief after such a slog.

stevegough

posted on 21/1/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well done ye old beggar - yer even older than me!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

nick205

posted on 21/1/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Great News Raz - congratulations and I hope it pans out well for you.
martyn1137

posted on 21/1/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, any chance you could get me more than 1 dodah of broadband to my home! Its painfully slow!
Guinness

posted on 21/1/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!
Irony

posted on 21/1/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Its a shame that age so often is an issue for getting a new job. At 56 depending on when you intend to retire you have at least 8 years left working. I work with a lot of so called modern fast paced marketing companies and they are lucky if their staff stop around for 8 months let alone 8 years. I think its a tad short sighted of employers to think age is a problem in your age bracket.

I do a reasonable amount of interviews and if you said 'I am 64'. Then age might be a issue.

Good luck with the new job!

dan8400

posted on 21/1/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Raz and good luck. Age is just a number...

Messing around with cars keeps you young

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/1/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wel done that man. 10/10 for persistence. I wonder how many of the younger generation would have been really disillusioned by lots of turned-down applications? (Not having a dig at you younger guys ).

Maybe there is hope for me yet then when our company finally decide they are top-heavy?

Anyway, seeing as you are a telephone engineer, can you come and upgrade my local x-change to fiber so we can get proper braodband please

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

gottabedone

posted on 21/1/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Great news Raz!

You're never too old matey!

Steve

Ninehigh

posted on 21/1/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I work with a lot of so called modern fast paced marketing companies and they are lucky if their staff stop around for 8 months let alone 8 years. I think its a tad short sighted of employers to think age is a problem in your age bracket.

I'm 31, the longest I've ever stuck at a job is 5 years. I now have to completely skip jobs in order to keep it down to 2 pages. If anyone tells me that being in my 50's is a concern I'd say "Why, you think I might drop dead or something? Oh I've only got about 10 years left in me? Can you see any job I've stuck at that long?"

Confused but excited.

posted on 21/1/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!

Did they tell you that they don't use electric waves anymore? it's all gone quantum!

Good luck Raz.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.