Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CA18DET engine
Stuart_B

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
CA18DET engine

hi all, i have found a CA18DET engine complete and box for around 300, i have a few questions, i will not be able to insure this for a few years, so do i buy it and store it, then change it when i can insure this engine, or wait till i can insure a bigger engine and buy one then?

as well is there common issues with these?

what sort of power will it give? or should i say what cost to hp can i get (300hp would be nice)

as well what is deal with electrics, as it is jap i am guessing it will complex am i right?

so for all the questions, just do not want to end up with enough engine if it is not right all ready have to many.

cheers

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Oliver Jetson

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good engines, about 170bhp standard, plenty of tuning potential and parts are abundant. Some will say that the bottom ends are weak and if not properly maintained then this can pose issues but I owned two 200sx with this engine both hovering around 100k on the clocks but engines were very strong, no sign of issues over the 20,000 miles I did in them.

Others will say get the SR20 instead. Yes you can get more power out of it but they will be a little more expensive.

There are plenty of these engines about. Hold on to your cash until you are ready.

Oliver Jetson

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
260bhp is fairly easy and cheap to attain - T28 turbo (from the SR20 engine), bigger intercooler, free flow exhaust, ecu remap, uprated fuel pump etc etc

tomgregory2000

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Im in the sr20 gang

<<<<<<
<<<<<<
<<<<<<

ca is good but sr is better

but that is a good price

StrikerChris

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Keep hold of your money for now,plenty of those engines about if your not in a hurry,and you may stumble upon something abit more exciting in the meantime!Not a bad motor tho,I'd want to hear it running for that money though,bottom ends are a favourite it someones been tight with the oil changes!

Ps,whats the issue with insurance?Mines was cheap as chips straight from ban number 2 insuring an sr20det

[Edited on 23/1/11 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
It WILL cost a lot more to get 300bhp out of a ca than buying an sr and tuning it to 300bhp.

To get 300 out of an sr you need the t28 turbo, colder plugs, fuel pump, 555 injectors and an apexi power fc(is best) and thats bout it, no need to touch the bottom end.

It will cost alot more for your ca as bottom end work is needed

Stuart_B

posted on 23/1/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers guys, i am little bit worried with bottom end as i will not be able to here it running.

as for insurance, i am only 19, and it was hard to get insured when i was 17, for the indy with a 1.6 in it, so till i am 21 my insurance company said they will not insure me if i have a bigger engine.

i might not take this engine hold out for a enough engine closer to the time.

cheers all

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

StrikerChris

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Then again you could spend a couple of years 'fiddling' with the said engine!i believe norris designs got about 600bhp out of theirs... I'm taking mine out to have a look at the chain and vvt sprocket this week,and well while the head and sump is off cogs are starting to turn and the apex website keeps cropping up lol
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
My advice is to forget it, go with something more common, so more people can help you when the time comes. I cannot express my utter frustration with mine. It never got to work and now the car is going to be sold with a non-working engine, and tens of thousands of dollars into it.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
It WILL cost a lot more to get 300bhp out of a ca than buying an sr and tuning it to 300bhp.

To get 300 out of an sr you need the t28 turbo, colder plugs, fuel pump, 555 injectors and an apexi power fc(is best) and thats bout it, no need to touch the bottom end.

It will cost alot more for your ca as bottom end work is needed

Im part way there then mines has a t28 turbo and a moohsive intercooler

ps which fuel pump did you use and what is the flow rate

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.