Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pad welding
pdm

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Pad welding

Hi

Just got back from college as I've started a welding course.

They were trying to just get everyone going tonight so didn't go too much into technique, just let us practice so thought I'd asked for advice on here ready for next week !!!

We're just pad welding in straight lines and then another adjacent line with a slight overlap.

My questions are:

1) Anyone got any tips for starting off smoothly - I seem to "jump" a bit when it arcs which is spoiling the first bit.

2) Any tips for finishing off - apparently the weld is meant to taper away - I experimented with moving the torch away, angles but whatever way I did it I seem to either get a big globule of weld or a crater at the end?

Good fun though especially as how I didn't set myself or anything else on fire and I can still see !!!

cheers now
Paul

owelly

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Start off the run the wrong way for a second then set off the right way running over your first bit. That way, the pool will form easier. At the end of the run, keep the arc but pause the movement for a second to allow the pool to catch up.
You'll know it's right when the slag curls up after your run before pinging off and attaching itself to your hair with stinking burning results. Then your lecturer will sell you a welders beanie......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdm

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'll give it a try - thanks
MikeR

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Also - how are you holding the torch? Hopefully two handed with the second hand / arm resting on something - this then acts as a steady and makes your welding start nicely and go where you want it.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
get a proper auto darkening bucket

flibble

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

get a proper auto darkening bucket

I'll second that as the best help my welding ever got!

Andi

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did the jumping out of my skin when the arc showed up thing, for about 2 sessions at college,
Much to the merriment of the tutor. It does go though.
I had always wanted to try welding, but after a couple of hours I knew I could never make a career out of it simply
because it is so **kin hot. But for little bodge jobs its great.

Andi

Peteff

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mig, tig or arc welding? Welding is such a vague term as it's just joining bits of metal together. I managed for about 40 years without the luxury of an auto helmet, using two hands is and remembering to breathe normally is good. The auto helmet is an advantage as well though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

pdm

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes sorry - should have said its MIG with Gas I am doing as they reckoned that would be the easiest to get decent results with.

I was going to see how it went before I invested in my own helmet but maybe I should be doing it the other way around. I'd be paranoid the glass wouldn't go though !!!

As for hot - I was using two hands and one arm was sooo hot !!! And as we were just doing row after row, the metal is taking more and more heat it does alter how the weld goes down.

Thanks everyone and any more comments more than welcome !!

tony-devon

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
well you just spotted one of the first important things, especially with MIG, preheating

good gauntlets, and an auto dark helmet are very good items to get you started in the right direction

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.