Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying a car of the deceased
m8kwr

posted on 26/1/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
buying a car of the deceased

I am going to be buying a new car, but the v5 is still in the deceased name. they have been dead for 15 months, but none of the close family members have bothered to change it over.

I have been told that the car is not part of the estate etc.

Has anyone had to do this before, and how do I go about getting it into my name.

Would I need to send a copy of the death certificate etc along with the v5 slip thingy

MikeFellows

posted on 26/1/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had this before when family members have died

I just signed the V5 as them, the only other way is to send the V5 to the DVLA get it transferred to a relative providing death certificate and probate document. then do the sale. obviously this adds to the registered keepers.

Mike

tegwin

posted on 26/1/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
You just need a "signature"..... just get someone to sign it and jobs a goodun... just make sure you get a decent(ish) receipt, just incase there are any queries later on

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MK9R

posted on 26/1/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
You just need a "signature"..... just get someone to sign it and jobs a goodun... just make sure you get a decent(ish) receipt, just incase there are any queries later on

You don't actually need the signature, i have bought a few cars now when the previous owner hadn't signed the v5. I called teh DVLA about it and they said just get the new owner to sign it.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 26/1/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
As the person selling you the car will send off the V5 then all they need to do is send it with a covering letter stating the owner has passed away and the details of the new owner. They don't sign the V5.

You will recieve the usual little bit of green? paper from the V5 and in 2 weeks will recieve a new V5 in your name.

You don't need to send anything off, its up to the person selling it to do it

I've done this a few times already (unfortunatley) and advice is on DirectGov website here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_4022493

[Edited on 26/1/11 by Alfa145]

britishtrident

posted on 26/1/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
No matter what they say legally it should have included in the estate inventory it should have been SORNed by one of the Executors, executor signs the transfer panel on the V5 on behalf of the estate.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

m8kwr

posted on 26/1/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
the car has been sorned, but my mom was told that it was not part of the estate, and apparently the will etc has all been done and solicitors are no longer involved, the car is just still sitting there - and has been for the last 15 months plus.
interestedparty

posted on 26/1/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whether you get a receipt or not, just make damn sure you give the money to the owner. The deceased is NOT the owner, BTW (you can't take it with you).

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.