Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self employed and Bank Q's
Moorron

posted on 26/1/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Self employed and Bank Q's

Hi guy i know some of you are self employed so might be able to help me out. Going to be a long life story.....

My GF went Self employed about 4 years ago as a haidresser, we did it for work conditions and money wasnt that important as i pay the bills round here lol. When she started we went to hsbc to set up a second account to leave all her work transaction and NI payments in one place so its easy to see her work money from personal money. We have our main joint account, savingings account and her own normal account with them (mine is with barclays).

What they did is push us into a business acount which was free for 18 months. We didnt really want this as her transactions are simple and small. But back then we were both shy and took it, but now she pays on average £15 a month to just pay 4 cheques and some cash in once a week. I was made redundant last year so we are trying to save as much money as possible and its seemed stupid to pay £180 a year for what i see as no benifit.

So we went in last week to close it down and open just a normal account for her work. They wouldnt do it, even when i said we where happy to have a premium account which gave us 'free' insurance, AA cover and the like for only £13 a month. In other words i was willing to pay a monthly fee but this time get something back in return which we didnt get on her business account. They still wouldnt do it saying you cant use any of these accounts for business purposes. This and the fact they lied to us on that day about not having a business adviser yet one turned up as soon as i said close the account. So we closed the business account, transfered the little money from it into her other account and then left. We are now in the process of setting up an account at Barclays for her business.

My point to this thread:- is it a legal requirement (from the banks side not the tax man) to have a business account to pay in 4 cheques and some cash each week? her turnover is less than £13K per year and no other payments are made except her 'wage' and her yearly tax return. Im that angry at Hsbc and the way they have spoke to us that i am thinking of changing all our accounts to any other bank.

any tips?

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

steve m

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I cant advise on the account side of things, but why would ypu pay cash into a buisness or any other account from her earnings?

Surely anything paid in would be taxable

I would kick the HSBC account, and open a normal Building society type, and only pay in cheques

But as i said at the top, i am not really in a postion to advise !

Regards

Steve

ironside

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
No it's not a legal requirement, you could do it with a separate personal account only (I assume she's not Ltd)
If you do like the business account though, Santander do a fee-free one forever rather than 18 months.

jollygreengiant

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm self employed, I have a personal (joint) account with barclays and a private account with Nationwide. I use the nationwide to pay in any cheques I receive from business and also as a saver account for my income tax. The income tax and all other bills get paid out of the Barclays account.

I have never had it queried.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

PSpirine

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just close the HSBC account and open a personal one in Barclays for her. You may even get some cashback if you use quidco etc.

Plus means you have one less bank to deal with when depositing cheques etc.

plentywahalla

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is they now know it is a business account.

Under banking code of practice rules and also FSA and Bank of England rules they must structure the account differently. They would be breaking the law to issue you with a personal account knowing it was to be used for operating a business.

So don't be too hard on them, although they obviously need some customer service training. Just open a No.2 account saying its to help you manage your domestic budgeting.

Moorron

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys sounds like i am right then.

I can understand a business account if she had a building to rent, employees to pay and alot of bills for the business but its not like that. Its so simple our main joint account with all the household bills uses more resources and thats free.

We pay all payments into the account, so its all taxed because we are not going to defraud the taxman. She earns so little she hardly pays much tax on it anyway. simple people simple lives i suppose

Yep, i thought the same, one bank for all our accounts even our own ones. Barclays has always been good with me but HSBC seemed right from the start to push things, when we first moved in together over 12 years ago we set up all these accounts with HSBC and even then they gave us a credit card, we said we didnt want it, no need and no temptation yet they still gave it after i said 'no' 3 or 4 times. We just cut up the card when we recieved it. I feel the bank paid commision it was that obvious.

I was told by a friend banks will give free stuff to get you to change your accounts to them, im off on google to find out if we get anything for changing all our accounts to Barclays.

Thanks guys

ps, she has an accountant. But all they do is her tax return each year from her well maintained books. This to me looks like an online form they fill a few pages in. Can we do this ourselves too or is it best to let the quilified guys do it (cost about £150 a year too).

plentywahalla

posted on 26/1/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Do your own tax return and save the money. On line filing is so simple. It looks daunting at first but 95% of the boxes you just ignore beacuse they are not relevent to a small one person business. The helpline people are really helpful and actually speak human
NS Dev

posted on 26/1/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
Do your own tax return and save the money. On line filing is so simple. It looks daunting at first but 95% of the boxes you just ignore beacuse they are not relevent to a small one person business. The helpline people are really helpful and actually speak human

ditto in our experience

We use a santander personal account for our business

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Moorron

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
even better cheers lads.

The Locost Way!

JoelP

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
i run everything through my personnal account - about half a million quid so far! Sadly, very little of it profit

Your tax return is so easy its stupid. If you are only turning over £13k, there is literally 3 boxes to fill in. You dont have to itemise anything, its simply in, out and profit.

I use an accountant for the employees taxes, and do my own returns.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Moorron

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
As we got the accountants copy after the first year it was clear it was an online form, like you said with most of the pages ignored. But we let them do it as we wanted to keep it looking professional. But i dont think its worth it for £150.

NS Dev

posted on 26/1/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i run everything through my personnal account - about half a million quid so far! Sadly, very little of it profit

Your tax return is so easy its stupid. If you are only turning over £13k, there is literally 3 boxes to fill in. You dont have to itemise anything, its simply in, out and profit.

I use an accountant for the employees taxes, and do my own returns.

sorry to divert thread, but for turnover over 13k what else is there (worried I've missed something now!)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 27/1/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
13k isnt the limit, i cant remember what it is - lets say 20 for the sake of an argument. When this point is passed, i believe they want your expenses in categories such as rent, fuel, purchases, insurance, wages etc, rather than just lumped together.

It has been a while since i paid proper attention to it though!

Ninehigh

posted on 27/1/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Tell them you're closing the account, if needed get another one elsewhere and if they ask what it's for tell them it's for putting money in. Send HSBC notification in writing that you're closing it and if they don't it's their problem. When those charges pile up tell the debt collectors you closed it on that date and there was nothing outstanding. Stick to your guns

JoelP

posted on 27/1/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
my wife got blagged into an HSBC premium account, basically £15 a month for nothing of use - junk like a cheap overdraft etc. All that was useable was breakdown cover and travel insurance, both of which can be had cheaper.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.