Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG tdi engine temp needle moving lots
Kriss

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
VAG tdi engine temp needle moving lots

New sender water temp fitted in April and new 'stat fitted a month back.

surely the sender has failed (again)

I was sitting ont he motorway at 90 degrees, then it dropped suddenly to just abive minimum, then it picked up after 2 miles but dropped soon after.

GSF are sending me a new sender

Any other ideas?

Car has been fine since new 'stat and sits at 90 nicely

MikeFellows

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ive a 1.8T Audi 2004 A4 with the same problem for ages (though my temp just drops quickly)

firstly I changed the water pump as its a common fault on the 1.8T as they have plastic impellars that shatter - bought upgraded metal impellor version. changing the water pump also means I may as well change the cam belt

this didnt fix it but then i found a tiny leak, replaced the hose and this didnt fix it either

then i changed the temp sensor and this didnt fix it.

then i found out about another temp sensor and changed that one and that didnt fix it.

ive now decided its the guage and given up, everything gets up to and statys at temp so i dont know what else to do.

mikeb

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
my a4 has a dodgy one as well, most of the time it doesn't work everynow and agian it does and sits nicely in the middle of the gauge, I assumed its a dirty connector but being lazy I've not looked, its got oil temperature as well so I'd spot it overheating. There are two senders one for the gauge and one for the ecu, VAG Com will give you the reading from the other sender that feeds the ecu.
tegwin

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
So far the temp sender on my polo (same as the golf ones I believe) has needed to be replaced almost every 2 years.... Rubbish little things...

I know a few people get sporadic needle movements if the earth bond to the clocks is faulty... I believe a common issue on the 6N2 polo chassis... not sure if others suffer the same

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Kriss

posted on 28/1/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Surely overheating would be caused by a faulty pump? Not the reverse of cold water readings at random intervals?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.