Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Amazed This Didn't Sell (TVR)...
scootz

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Amazed This Didn't Sell (TVR)...

... a Tamora for under £10k and no-one bid

TVR TAMORA on eBay (end time 28-Jan-11 16:43:03 GMT)

It's Evolution Baby!

Stuart_B

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
the seller was honest

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

r1_pete

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
He didn't over sll it though, suggesting the AA cover, and they have replaced the battery, and its just been done again, would suggest an electrical fault, the LDC display sounds expensive too....

Probably more of a money pit than the average TVR IMO.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would say that you have to be when selling a TVR!

TBH, the unreliability of them has never been the problem for me... will give you no-more grief than the average kit and who cares when they drive like they do! It's the rotting-chassis members that stops me from doing it!

Why oh why did they not just galvanize them at the factory? So it might have added a couple of grand to the price... I'm sure the loyal following wouldn't have cared much if they knew that the chassis was going to last more than 10 years without requiring the body lifted off and repaired / re-painted!

It's Evolution Baby!

pdm

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
main problem I think is the internet whispering of how fragile the engines are - I have absolutley no idea whether this is the case for real but you don't see many high miler and a lot have rebuilds....

my boss at my old work had one - he got broken into one night and they took the keys - couldnt work out how to start it and so shot him in the leg to get the info. He was like after a different person after that no suprises - shocking really how life can change so quickly.

scootz

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
my boss at my old work had one - he got broken into one night and they took the keys - couldnt work out how to start it and so shot him in the leg to get the info. He was like after a different person after that no suprises - shocking really how life can change so quickly.

Flippin eck... where did your boss stay? South Central LA?

It's Evolution Baby!

Yazza54

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I want.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I love the looks and the noise but other than that I confess to knowing nowt about TVR's but as has been said the internet whisperings around the speed six engine are very strong and they're the one thing I've heard to steer clear of as their repair is costly.
pdm

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

Flippin eck... where did your boss stay? South Central LA?

Nottingham - don't go there now myself :-)

PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/1/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I love the look Tamora's, thats a very quick little car for not much money, for some reason they don't sell as well as the T350's or the Sagaris, there's been one for sale on the Autotrader for a few weeks now, for around the same money, you have got to like the noise of the TVR speed six engine though, dare I say even better than the V8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlkKO-ERD0&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrP8Pg2xTQ

BigMac

posted on 4/3/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know I'm resurrecting a slightly old topic, but figured I'd give replying a go :-)

A close friend of mine is offering me his Tamora for not much more than this. It's a very well looked after car that's had it's rebuild. I've been a big fan of TVR's in general since I was 8 or 9 years old, so owning one is definately a 'must' for me.

Here's my impressions of relability (note I'm not a full mechanic, so my technical knowledge is limited, but these are my understandings).

Regarding reliability, scootz is right, so long as you keep them well looked after, they're no more trouble than a kit car.

Electrics are considered to be a weak point of them, more so than the engine. Those who store them away for the Winter know that you always leave the windows down, just in case the battery decides to die whilst in storage. Electronically operated door switches, coupled with the lack of a handle and not great wiring means that getting into them can be fun if the battery's died and the windows are up... :-P Other problems include lights not working, the reverse light coming on in fifth (case of the sensor was never put back properly when doing a clutch swap out). Oil pressure and lambda's going, etc.

I went to a local guy near me who has serviced TVR's for years, he showed me around a Straight Six that had come out of a Sagaris. The main problems with the engine are the Valve Finger Followers (or Chocolate Fingers as most TVR owners call them), it's these that tend to go more than most. I've seen a collection of knackered ones hung up on the wall of his office, they wear badly and eventually fail. That said, TVR Power now do a Finger Follower Free (FFF) engine mod that has seen the engines reliability increase greatly following the upgrade.

Outriggers and chassis rot is a problem though, hence I've seen a lot of TVRs that have had Waxoyl done to them. Problem with Waxoyl is that it covers up the beginnings of rot, so you only start to notice it when it's properly bad. The Tamora I've been offered has the same powder coated chassis, but has had the outriggers galvanized and the chassis has just been regularly cleaned to remove salt and road grime, rather than Waxoyled. That said, I understand that most people don't have the time or access to a 4 post to be able to regularly, properly clean a chassis.

I'm still making my mind up what to do, but I'm thinking my freshly rebuilt Megabusa will be going in place of one of these...

scootz

posted on 4/3/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
TVR is one of the few brands that I've wanted, but never got round to owning! It's a shame really as it was always dismissed on reliability grounds when I could have afforded one. I couldn't care less about reliability these days, but I don't had the spare dosh!

If I ever do go for it, then it will probably be a Tuscan that gets the nod as I just love the 'drama' of the design!

Go for it... you only live once!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.