Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycling Cameras.
morcus

posted on 1/2/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cycling Cameras.

I saw this and thought it was quite intresting.

Link

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The moral of the story is if you hit one of these lycra clad, sanctimonious a-holes when they speed through a red light, reverse and make sure the jobs done properly before disposing of their silly looking hat with a camera.
blakep82

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
the moral of the story is, they should start paying road tax

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

interestedparty

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
It was on the news this morning, and what it amounted to, as far as the cyclists were concerned, was that it was something they could have INSTEAD of insurance. I've never tried to buy cyclist insurance, but I will bet it exists.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

AndyW

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
and they should have insurance...........
Mal

posted on 1/2/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
If the cyclist is a member of the CTC (Cyclists Touring Club), which he could well be, he is automatically insured for damage he may cause to others.
BenB

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't care if they have insurance, just number plates.
All well and good naming and shaming car drivers who drive recklessly but a level playing field would have cyclists being personally identifiable. I bet a few fines given out to red light jumpers would soon pay for the scheme and improve road safety no end.

T66

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
How about this saddo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVI5E3tLPOE

[Edited on 1/2/11 by T66]

JAG

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ok - I'm a cyclist and a Locoster.

I commute to work on my bike.

I have massive sympathy for cyclists on our roads today - most drivers don't give a toss and will 'accidentally' kill a cyclist without any risk of harming themselves.

I get overtaken on blind corners (who knows what's coming the other way?), they overtake within 12" when travelling at 50mph, during the overtake they will pull in sharply when something comes the other way without giving me a thought, they don't see me and cut-me up at junctions

Their vehicle weighs at least 1 tonne - my bike and I weigh 100kgs at most. Cyclists don't stand a chance and will die in the slightest collision - drivers should take more care.

I think the camera is to help prosecute dangerous drivers and is used WITH INSURANCE.

Road Tax: cars have to pay to use the road because of the damage they cause - cyclists don't cause damage and, along with pedestrians, have a legal RIGHT to use the public highways without taxation.

I can't defend jumping red lights - but it's not going to kill anyone

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Hammerhead

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
the moral of the story is, they should start paying road tax

Well I ride bikes for fitness and pay £740+ road tax a year. So what's your point?

Well put JAG.

[Edited on 1/2/11 by Hammerhead]

JAG

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good point about Road Tax - when I'm cycling to work there are two cars on my drive not going anywhere that both have Road Tax

[Edited on 1/2/11 by JAG]

Justin

designer

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not the point. You use a road, you should pay, even if it's only a token amount.

Canoes have to pay to use a river.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I already do pay - for two cars that I'm not driving when I'm cycling to work.

I suspect it's the same situation for most cyclists on our roads.

Justin

interestedparty

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Ok - I'm a cyclist and a Locoster.

I commute to work on my bike.

I have massive sympathy for cyclists on our roads today - most drivers don't give a toss and will 'accidentally' kill a cyclist without any risk of harming themselves.

I get overtaken on blind corners (who knows what's coming the other way?), they overtake within 12" when travelling at 50mph, during the overtake they will pull in sharply when something comes the other way without giving me a thought, they don't see me and cut-me up at junctions

Their vehicle weighs at least 1 tonne - my bike and I weigh 100kgs at most. Cyclists don't stand a chance and will die in the slightest collision - drivers should take more care.

I think the camera is to help prosecute dangerous drivers and is used WITH INSURANCE.

Road Tax: cars have to pay to use the road because of the damage they cause - cyclists don't cause damage and, along with pedestrians, have a legal RIGHT to use the public highways without taxation.

I can't defend jumping red lights - but it's not going to kill anyone

Nobody has a legal right to use anything, unless the government says so. If tomorrow they decide to tax cyclists then they can do it, legally. Because what is legal is what they say is legal.

Everybody knows that cyclists are very vulnerable in an accident with a car, but as it is recognised that many drivers don't see cycists, I wonder if maybe cyclists need to be a bit more careful too. All very well being in the right but not if if you are also in the ground, in a box.

loggyboy

posted on 1/2/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thats complete bullshit, was 100% the cyclists fault, he had been overtaken and the Highway codes states once someone attempts an overtake you should back off.
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

He under took the van on a bend, shouted at him when he should have merged behind him, then once he'd uindertaken the van going round the bend, the van overtook him again he moved right in to the side of the van, instead of just backing off and going behind.
That bloke looks, sounds, rides and acts like a cock.

Maybe the van driver should have given him a little more room and certainly shouldnt have got out and smacked him, but if some uninsured twat ran his 'vehicle' down the side of my van i'd be pissed off!

blakep82

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I already do pay - for two cars that I'm not driving when I'm cycling to work.

I suspect it's the same situation for most cyclists on our roads.

so then you're saying if you have 2 cars, you should only pay tax on one? well we know thats not the case, all cars have to be taxed if they're to be used, and so should bikes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

phelpsa

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've found that a lot of cyclists like to be confrontational...

I had a confrontation with a cyclist once when I was queuing for a roundabout. Motorbikes coming down the outside so i pull left to let them through, 10 seconds later a cyclist comes down the inside, stops as there isnt enough room to get through, slaps the rear quarter of the car and shouts at me 'stop being a bleeping prick'.

I can see why the thought went through his head, and to him it may well have appeared that i was trying to block cyclists, when in fact i had even considered that there may be cyclists intending to undertake (no cycle lane or anything).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its all right saying that bicycles should pay road tax but how much should they pay?

Road damage is accepted to be proportional to the fourth power of the axle load of the vehicle so if the axle load of a bike is 1/10 that of a car then the tax ratio should be 1/10,000.

So if the road tax for a car is £110 then the bike should pay 1.1p, the cost of collecting it is so much more than the tax that it just isn't worth it.

Duncan

loggyboy

posted on 1/2/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im not fussed by taxing bikes, i think people should be paid to ride them for commutin, but if used on road for anything more than lesiure, they should be properly registered, insured and riders should have at least a theory test. (im sure most have car licenses anyway)
RazMan

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Road tax might be taking it a bit too far, but insurance? .... definitely - cyclists are equally capable of causing an accident and/or damage to people and property so they need to be identifiable and held accountable, just like any other road user.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Simon

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Thats not the point. You use a road, you should pay, even if it's only a token amount.

Canoes have to pay to use a river.

Perhaps pedestrians should pay too, and dog walkers whose mutts poo everywhere - a turd tax. Maybe horseriders too, for the same reason.

Appears to be quite a lot of angry car drivers on here - go and buy a bike and stop whinging, you'll get fitter, might enjoy it then can get all self righteous about car drivers

ATB

Simon

A1

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
what about the fact that youre not really allowed to film public property without a license?

Im sick of cyclists who think they can do what they want, saw one a while ago shouting and swearing at a car driver whod blasted his horn at him cause he cycled through a red light on a junction the car was crossing.
if theyre going to use the road, they should follow the same rules as cars at traffic lights, and the cops should start fining them as strictly as they do us.

interestedparty

posted on 2/2/11 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I was reading about a case a while back where there was a queue of traffic heading into a city. So one of the cars in the queue lets someone who was coming the other way turn to the right (across the queue of traffic) and into a side street. So chummy has nearly completed his turn when a cyclist comes shooting up the inside of the cars in the queue and rides full pelt into the turning car, and hits him near the back end.

The cyclist is going that fast that he ends up going over the roof of the turning car, and the bike is of course written off. So it's pretty obvious that the cyclist had his head down, pumping away, glancing at the watch on his wrist, thinking he was going to get a good time today, maybe even shave a couple of seconds off his best, thinking what mugs all the fatties in the cars were for waiting in a queue, then bang!

But that's not the funny part, accidents aren't usually funny. The funny part is that the cyclist reckoned it was the car driver's fault!

Hammerhead

posted on 2/2/11 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I filmed a leisure ride the other day, there were 3 occasions where I felt cars were too close etc. Good to have the footage in the bank I reckon.

I do agree that insurance might be a good idea for cyclists. I have public liability insurance which might cover cycling....I'll have to check. Insurance just makes sense.

Colnago_Man

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The moral of the story is if you hit one of these lycra clad, sanctimonious a-holes when they speed through a red light, reverse and make sure the jobs done properly before disposing of their silly looking hat with a camera.

Hopefully MikeRJ its a member of your family or someone you love, then see if you attitude to another persons live changes.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.