Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Height of RV8 and power rating of triumph axle
speedyxjs

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Height of RV8 and power rating of triumph axle

As title really, does anyone know the height of the RV8 and how much power the rear axle of late 70's triumph's can handle?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scudderfish

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
From www.boostperformance.co.uk

The Corvette LS1 engine measures approximately 25.25" long (Rover V8 is 27.5" ), LS1 overall height is 24-25" (Rover V8 is 25.5" plus the carb and air filter or efi plenum, 29-30" or more), LS1 width across the cylinder heads is 20.5" (Rover V8 is 20" ). With the T56 6 speed gearbox fitted the LS1 is some 3" shorter than a Rover V8 with a standard 5 speed gearbox. If you wish to purchase a custom hand built, fully blueprinted engine to any specification feel free to call me. We also overhaul and rebuild standard engines with a few miles on them useing approved GM tooling.

scudderfish

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
No idea about the axle, I've got one from a V6 Capri on mine.

v8kid

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rear axle of TR7 variety is plenty strong enough - not sure if they were used on other triumphs though.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/2/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Rear axle of TR7 variety is plenty strong enough - not sure if they were used on other triumphs though.

Thats good. It was the TR7 one i was thinking about. I read that they were all the same in the late 70' at least.

interestedparty

posted on 3/2/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

Thats good. It was the TR7 one i was thinking about. I read that they were all the same in the late 70' at least.

Most Triumphs (including T$4A, Tr5 and TR6) of that era had independant rears, therefore a different diff.

TR7 live axle plenty strong enough for tuned V8.

Don't tell me, let me guess, you are going to build a car based on a 2ltr TR7, and are going to change the engine at the same time.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

r1_pete

posted on 3/2/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I seem to remember the TR7 axle is the same as the Rover SD1 axle, so pleanty strong enough.

A good few years ago I did some research on building a TR8, I think the most difficult bit to obtain would have been the 5speed - V8 bellhousing, TR7 gearbox shares the rest of its castings with the SD1....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/2/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Don't tell me, let me guess, you are going to build a car based on a 2ltr TR7, and are going to change the engine at the same time.

Maaaaybeeeee

Iv seen a really cheap TR7 convertable which needs a bit of welding but the bodywork is mint (ideal for me 'cos i dont do bodywork)!

I was thinking i might use it as is for the summer then drop a Jag V8 or maybe V6 twinturbo diesel in over the winter. I wanted to know the size of the RV8 as that was fitted to the TR7 (TR8) so i can get the size of the Jag engines and find out whether it will fit

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.