Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: can you test an engine without a pump?
hellbent345

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
can you test an engine without a pump?

Hi chaps

Im just wondering if you can test an engine without the fuel injection pump? I dont know if i want to go injection and throttle bodies, or bike carbs yet, but my car has its original injection system still on (but i forgot to take out the fuel pump! ) I would like to see if i can get it running with the original system first before buying a new fuel pump as if i can't run it, ive got to make the decision between bike carbs or throttle bodies. I guess if i do have to have the fuel pump, my decision has been made for me - ill have to do throttle bodies! If that is the case, can anyone recommend a good cheap high pressure pump and a good cheap low pressure one

Thanks Alan

phoenix70

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
doubtful, you need the fuel pump to make the pressure at the injectors
owelly

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible to get an injection engine to run with a LP pump but it won't run correctly. Try getting hold of a HP pump out of an early injection VW. I got the pump out of a Golf GTi and the pump is mounted in a little plastic swirl tank complete with vapour trap, return and filter canister mounted on the side. Once you've finished with the VW set up, sell it to me for thruppence 'cos I need a spare!
ETA a piccy of the one I used. The dust came as an extra.

[Edited on 9/2/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hellbent345

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
damn i thought as much

anyone got any suggestions for fuel pumps on the cheap? ill prob end up doing a swirl pot setup

edit: thanks for the vw info, posted while i was writing this

Thanks, Alan

[Edited on 9/2/11 by hellbent345]

owelly

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Like this, but get a cheaper one! Mine was a tenner from the local 'proper' scrappy.
Volkswagen Golf MK2 Fuel Pump GTi Pre 88 on eBay (end time 28-Feb-11 13:27:37 GMT)

Or this is a bit cheaper.
Golf Mk2 Gti Fuel Pump on eBay (end time 12-Feb-11 12:31:52 GMT)

Golf Mk2 Gti Fuel Pump on eBay (end time 12-Feb-11 12:31:52 GMT)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hellbent345

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
ive had a look on ebay and there aren't any that look like they are worth spending the money asked! However, i did a quick search for in tank fuel pumps to see what rubbish was floating around and got a few 99p starters - can anyone see any problems if i just get one of these and use it to test the efi i already have? (by inserting the pump in a bowl of fuel or something similar!) particularly with running the pump if its got a special connector (can i just wack a positive and negative either side of the pump? heres what ive seen so far
VAUXHALL ASTRA FUEL PUMP IN TANK 1.8 SPORT 2002PLATE on eBay (end time 10-Feb-11 19:26:32 GMT)

and

Range Rover Classic V8 Petrol EFI In Tank Fuel Pump on eBay (end time 17-Feb-11 16:38:43 GMT)

zetec

posted on 9/2/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've been to a scrappy where one bloke sat on the roof of the Mondeo I was looking at with a plastic container filled with petrol and a length of tube, he started to syphon the petrol down the tube and let it flow into the throttle body while his mate cranked it over! Worked a treat! But I suspect you are looking for something a little less basic.

I fitted a s/h Vx GTE fuel pump (external), cost £10 and still going strong 10K miles later, comes with nice easy push fit connectors.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/2/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
you could fill a small tank, run a hose and use gravity.

The problem is that to get 3atm with petrol you'd need the tank about 40metres high.

The fuel hose would cost more than a pump...

Matt

Angel Acevedo

posted on 13/2/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
You could use an air pressurized injector cleaner pump.
You unplug the Pump Relay to do so.
HTH.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.