Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil breather set up on Zetec Turbo engine
zetechamo

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Oil breather set up on Zetec Turbo engine

Im having problems with oil breathing on a Zetec Turbo engine we built last year, I know there are a couple of lads on here that have Zetec Turbo engines in their Kit cars.

I was wondering how these guys have set up their oil breather systyem.

I have got a pipe that goes from the sump upto and into the cam cover and then I have another pipe from cam cover into oil catch tank.

The problem I think I have got is that there is to much pressure coming up the pipe into the Cam cover which is forcing oil out under the seal.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I could overcome this problem.

austin man

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
My Nephews car has the exact same problem

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

RichardK

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures in my gallery below on how I've done mine, not done many miles with this set up but first impressions are good.

Haven't got a turbo though if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 15/2/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Dont you need to have an oil separator to prevent the oil going into the cam cover? It could be that the crankcase pressure is pressurising the cam cover, and forcing the oil out of the seal anyway?

Either way, i think i would put a separator in, and have both the cam cover (which should breathe out, not in) and the crankcase breather into a catch tank. That would need a breather, but will also catch any oil vapour.

(Assuming you mean crankcase, not Sump)

If the hose is at the sump, then id be alarmed that you may either be syphoning oil into the top of the engine, or even airating your oil from the breather.

[Edited on 15-2-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

zetechamo

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
The pipe out of the sump is positioned above the oil level to allow crankcase compression to escape. I think it may need an oil seperator in the line. When I had this pipe straight into oil catch tank it was filling tank up, thats why I put it into cam cover so oil could return to the sump. Do you not think this is right.

Thanks Paul

MakeEverything

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetechamo
The pipe out of the sump is positioned above the oil level to allow crankcase compression to escape. I think it may need an oil seperator in the line. When I had this pipe straight into oil catch tank it was filling tank up, thats why I put it into cam cover so oil could return to the sump. Do you not think this is right.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Not entirely. I dont have a zetec, but i do know that the port on the cam cover of my renault engine is an OUTPUT, not an input, putting it crudely. Logically, it would be the same on the zetec.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick thought, as a non-zetec person but owning a turbocharged motor and a few others...

Cam cover vents are designed to be either atmospheric or vacuum (positive ventillation). All the cam cover vents I've seen have either been fed through a catch can to remove residue and vented back to pre-turbo intake, or simply atmospherically vented.

I know for a fact that atmos venting of my cam cover on the 3sgte leads to excess oil usage/burning which ive not thought about further. I'd suggest that your cam needs to be re-routed to the intake (or atmos through a filter) and the crankcase/sump tube needs to be blocked or used with a catch can as a return for the oil residue. Or link the two together but vent them both to the intake. Either way I don't think it's meant to be connected together as the crankcase and cam cover voids are internally linked - all you're doing is blocking all ventilation.

[Edited on 15/2/11 by coyoteboy]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add the breather system on the sr20det engine is a pipe from the engine block to cam cover on one side then cam cover to turbo inlet pipe with pcv

But i have done away with the feed back into the turbo inlet pipe and will be going to a catch tank i must add that no oil comes out

I beleive the problem that you have with that set up is the sump part of the breather i know its tight where the turbo is but it really need to at the original breather point on the engine block

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

djtom

posted on 18/2/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
On my Zetec Turbo I have drilled 2 x 17mm breather holes through the block just above the sump line (one on each side of the block), and vented both of these independantly to a catch tank. The cam cover is also vented to the same catch tank.

The original breather hole in the block (behind the exhaust manifold) is blocked off with an ally plate (can't fit a breather there as the turbo gets in the way).

I've been running approx 1 bar on a TD04 turbo, and it seems to have worked fine for a few thousand miles of brutal thrashing and 4 or 5 track days - the catch tank barely gets a dribble in it.

Hope this helps!

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.