Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil round my carbs!!!
scoop

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Oil round my carbs!!!

I have R1 carbs fitted to a Pinto and ive just been out to try and fit some trumpets to them that i got from Ebay and found that i have oil round the edges of the pipercross sausage filter. There isn't any in the carbs themselves though? The only thing ive done to the car over the winter is start it up and run it for 10 mins every month and cut the bottom off of the crank case breather that fits into the block. I did this because i dont have the pipe fitted to the inlet manifold but to a catch tank and therefore there is no draw on it. So, could i have created the issue by doing this or is just that its been sitting idle or, something else has happened?
BY the way, if anyone wants some carb trumpets i have some for sale because these dont fit

ashg

posted on 17/2/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
there is a second breather on the oil filler cap under its ridge. i would suspect that it is hot oil vapor coming out of that which is getting drawn across the engine bay by the vacuum of the carbs where it will cool and leave a residue. used to get that when i had a pinto in my car, it showed up easily as i also had a silver rocker cover. i also had bike carbs and had modified the block breather because i had no vacuum pull for it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

DarrenW

posted on 17/2/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
As Ash is eluding to - have you fitted a modified breather in the block. Std ones need the vacuum pull to open them and vent the crankcase. Cortina style traps are good. if the breather has effectively sealed the crankcase off you may get the cap venting more than normal and blowing fumes across top of head towards filter.
I vented oil cap to catch tank too.

scoop

posted on 17/2/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have vented the oil cap to the catch tank as well but what you are saying may be true as it could have been building up since before i adjusted the crank breather. I'll keep an eye on it from now. Cheers.
jacko

posted on 17/2/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you have blocked the sump breather then un-block it you may have gaskets blowing
Fit a open pipe [ no valves ] from the sump breather hole to your oil catch tank

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoop

posted on 17/2/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what ive done. I cut off the bottom of the valve thats normally fitted and have removed the t piece inside that floats up and down with the draw from the inlet manifold.
jacko

posted on 17/2/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
Thats what ive done. I cut off the bottom of the valve thats normally fitted and have removed the t piece inside that floats up and down with the draw from the inlet manifold.

Thats good Boggs set my car up they know there stuff on bike carbs
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.