Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW X1
hughpinder

posted on 21/2/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
BMW X1

My missus has a BMW 320d as a company car. It comes up for renewal on the contract in a couple of months, and she can have the same again, or an X1 for the same money. After the 'interesting' winter we've just had, she's considering the X1 as it's 4wd and also has more ground clearance (she also likes 4x4s). We've been to drive one, and it is very car like to drive rather than the X3 which is more like a 4x4.
Has anyone got one, and can say if the car works on icy roads/in snow (compared to the 320).

Thanks for any comments
Hugh

carpmart

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get another 320 and buy some winter wheels and tyres for use IF we get snow again next year!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

hughpinder

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
We did think of that - but we'd have to buy the wheels/tyres for a car we wouldn't own which seems a bit odd. We are considering it as a option though
Thanks
Hugh

Flamez

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Not all x1 have four wheel drive, some are s drive 2 wheel drive.

my build mac1motorsports

smart51

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
4 wheel drive without locking diffs is not all that good in the snow. Remember Clarkeson driving an X1 or X3 in the alps on a slight slope and getting nowhere?

adithorp

posted on 21/2/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a few when skiing this NewYear. they seemed to be coping well with the conditions but did have winter tyres on. can't stand X3's though, they seem almost as big as an X5 exterior and tiny inside.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DarrenW

posted on 21/2/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of the X1 all i will say is go for a good test drive. I had one as a coutesy car last year, not impressed. Im not a 1 series fan either so possibly biassed.

hughpinder

posted on 22/2/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.

We were only thinking of an improvement on the ice/snow compare to the current 320, while comprimising the drive a bit when the weather is good. If we never had ice or snow here, I don't think we'd even be looking.

Regards
Hugh

RazMan

posted on 22/2/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Practically anything FWD will be better in the snow compared to a RWD car. My Soarer was left on the drive for weeks over the winter - it wouldn't go anywhere, while SWMBO's Hyundia was coping well with all the bad weather, easily negotiating around all of the BMWs and Mercedes which were abandoned in the snow

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Colnago_Man

posted on 22/2/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I bought an Audi A4 Quattro just before the winter weather kicked in, perfect for the job. A good balance between a 320D and an X1. (Drove the X1 , wasnt that impressed unfortunately).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.