Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying cars from ebay
Davegtst

posted on 23/2/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Buying cars from ebay

I'm looking at getting a non runner from ebay as a bit of a project but i don't have time before it ends to view it. The seller wants a deposit by paypal at the end of the auction and the rest of the cash on collection. What sort of come back do i have if it's a complete dog with loads more wrong with it than what's described?
designer

posted on 23/2/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
In reality you don't , that's what Ebay is all about.

I 'won' a car transporter on Ebay, went to see it in Hastings and it was unroadworthy, I couldn't tow it, so I walked away, but didn't cost me anything apart from a bit of bad feedback, which you can justify.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 23/2/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
If it is not as described or they have hidden something major, i should think you have grounds for claiming your deposit back from paypal.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

loggyboy

posted on 23/2/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Just dont pay the deposit.

Turn up with all the cash and if its as described you hand over the winning amount.

pdm

posted on 23/2/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've always thought you bid to buy not to haggle....

So if it's advertised as a non-runner with no other details given, then you bid in knowledge it could be really bad.

If it says that it's a non runner as its got a flat battery and it's that specific and it turns out the engine is seized then I think you could get your deposit back.

nick205

posted on 23/2/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Where is it and when does it end?

Maybe a fellow LCB member might be nearby and take a quick gander for you?

dhutch

posted on 23/2/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can you see it before the listing ends? That would be best.

The might then even be scope to nogotiate a buy-now cash price.

Otherwise in the main this:
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Just dont pay the deposit.
Turn up with all the cash and if its as described you hand over the winning amount.

and this:
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

So if it's advertised as a non-runner with no other details given, then you bid in knowledge it could be really bad.

If it says that it's a non runner as its got a flat battery and it's that specific and it turns out the engine is seized then I think you could get your deposit back.

Daniel

loggyboy

posted on 23/2/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm

Your right, and if its as described you should 100% hand the cash over. But I wouldnt send anything till I had seen the car myself, to be sure the seller hasnt 'forgotten' or embelished some of the bad points.

need4speed

posted on 23/2/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
My lad bid on a mini a few years ago, when we went to pick it up no where near what was described so just walked away, didn't even get bad feedback from it. He was well aware it wasn't as he had stated.
Benzine

posted on 23/2/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
You're not obliged to pay a deposit even if they say they want one. I'd ask as many questions as you can to get as much detail as possible, then you've got their email replies (or they'll appear on the Q&A section at the bottom of the listing) as proof of what condition it's in/what work needs doing.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 23/2/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
You cant get bad feeb back as a buyer anymore can you? I know you cant when you have paid for an item, and the only way to complain is to start a dispute, but anyone selling something is unlike to bother. They may just want you to agree to cancel the transaction so they can get their fees back.
edsco

posted on 23/2/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bought 2 cars off eBay in past. Had no problems at all. When spending £7k or £8k then I would expect the description to be exactly what it is. At the end of the day, the description forms part of the sales contract between the two parties involved. If it ain't how it's been described in theory u could be buying something completly different.
I agree with a previous post on here though. If it's been described as just a non runner and nothing else, the emphasis is on the buyer to ask the relavant questions up front.
Does it state they do not offer a returns policy? If not, I belive this would be your get out of jail clause if it was a bag of nails, then get paypal to get your money back for u.

edsco

Davegtst

posted on 24/2/11 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
OOppps i just won it for alot cheaper than i was going to pay I didn't have time to view it so hopefully it's as described, if not i'll walk away i guess.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.