Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "Sexist" insurance
Ninehigh

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
"Sexist" insurance

Just heard on the news (less than a minute ago) that the fact that women pay less for car insurance (in some cases by half) than men, and this is sexist and should be banned.

As a result of this women are looking at a massive increase in insurance prices.

Is there anywhere stupidity doesn't reign or am I confusing my total cynicism with genius?

Thinking about it

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Linky
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've often wondered about the 'truth' of the statistics which say women are safer than men. Not to stir up a sexist war, but there used to be an awfl lot of women who were simply named drivers on their partner's insurance. The problem there is, if the woman has a prang, the insurance simply puts in a statistic as a claim on the man's insurance, hence the numbers say that men make more claims than women, ipso facto men are more risk and so policies are higher for men!

Might not be so true now, but I know for a fact that the female BMW driver that wrote off my son's car at a junction was on her husband's insurance (bet she had fun explaining how she'd caused several £000s of damage to their nice new beemer )

Anyway, just my tuppence worth

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

r1_pete

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
IF the evidence is there to support the FACT that women are safer drivers, then why shouldn't it be cheaper?? At 50 I dont expect to pay the same as a 17 year old and don't, is that ageist?? where will it stop??

This is just another case of namby pamby political correctness over sound facts.

We will soon be going back to proclaiming the earth is flat, because there are a minority who cannot understand why half the globes population dont fall off!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure why the insurance companies should make any more money out of this, but I guess they will.

What should happen if approved, is that the lads insurance should drop somewhat and the girls increase to make the gap less huge in what they pay. Not a popular move I suppose, especially for the lass's, but the insurance company will just maximise their profits i guess.

Just really gets me how the Boys are presumed to be idiots and charged accordingly for accidents that they may well not have. I honestly find myself avoiding incidents with both sets of young drivers, cant say girls are any better than boys. It should be an even playing field, but if you have a self fault accident then you are hammered.

Does a 17 year old tw*t drive any differently having paid £3500 for insurance as opposed to £1500 ? I think not, in fact what is more likely is that they will drive uninsured as they get truly priced out of the market.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/3/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just saw this on the BEEB. An insurance bloke reckoned that the result would be more expensive premiums for women. ie they would not reduce blokes insurances as they are the "problem" (my words not his)
Agree with comments above. As we are not allowed to be sexist, agesist or presumably disabilityist, wger-you-live-ist and all those other things, does it ultimately mean everybody will pay the same premiums no matter what?
I wonder if they may make the NCD discount better as a result to reward non-claiming drivers and reduce their premiums. But as noted elsewhere, this all makes not insuring a vehicle more worthwhile. Which is why I LIKE the ANPR cameras.

dogwood

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
On my insurance I went from just me driving to
me or my wife, and It went down.....

No complaints here..

My wife has just been telling me about the "Sexist" ruling
I would say what a load of bollox, but that's probably sexist as well

Insurance should be on risk assessment not if I have a "Lady garden" or "meat and 2 veg"

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

ashg

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
it wont get through. premiums are based on factual statistics. there is no prejudice involved.

the only way it would ever get through is if they can prove that the insurance statistics are wrong or flawed.

BUT! if they did it would only outcome in a change to how they are calculated and possibly more external regulation which will ultimately be funded for by.................................. yep you guessed it............... US the average man/woman.

karlak

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Seems like it has got through - hot off the press

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

"Insurers cannot charge different premiums to men and women because of their gender, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

The decision means that women can no longer be charged lower car insurance premiums than men."

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

designer

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
More profits for the insurance people!

Like the Poll tax the price will go to the maximum, with no thoughts of 'averaging' out.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieW

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
GET IN!! No more "Sheila's Wheels" adverts.

Thank god for the the EU.....

phelpsa

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
So does this mean i will no longer be able to get a sensible premium by adding my mother as a named driver? Thanks EU idiots....
scootz

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieW
GET IN!! No more "Sheila's Wheels" adverts.

Thank god for the the EU.....

Ha Ha... you beat me to it!

Small price to pay methinks!

It's Evolution Baby!

Fozzie

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ooooo very narrow minded ... of the 'powers that be' that is.......

So.....if it's true that younger/females in general have fewer insurance claims, then...why should it not be cheaper?
Oh...and statistics also show that more young women/girls actually do their 'pass plus' after passing their driving tests then then lads........

Also....the insurance hikes that we have all faced over recent years, have been due...'they' say
to (mainly) young men not having insurance and pranging their cars........and excessive claims due to bad weather......
Is that not also victimisation on the older/no claims peeps?

So...you are happy to pay up to cover the costs on uninsured drivers/bad weather claims...but not to have a difference in cost if, statistics are right, that younger men make the highest claims?

Oh...and there is many a man who is the named driver on the other half's policy to make it cheaper for them......

Having lads and lasses myself, there are good and bad in both.......sadly it is more often the lads who on the day they have pass their tests think they are on par with Button, Hamilton et al, than the lasses

Just my two penny worth and IMHO .....

Fozzie

Edit to add..........What would you guys think if the situation was reversed? .....

[Edited on 1-3-11 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

smart51

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I once heard an "insurance industry expert" on the radio who said that 86% of drivers were average risk and that the median risk was the same for men and women. The difference was that there is more spread of risk with men. The men who were not "average" is divided by those who are excellent drivers and those who are high risk and that there were quite a lot in each group. There were few women in each group, so fewer girl racers than boy racers.

Alfa145

posted on 1/3/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully someone will tell the meddling EU arseh**es to Bog off and leave our laws alone.
Confused but excited.

posted on 1/3/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Or is it that they have realised that women drivers don't have accidents, they just cause them?

[Edited on 1/3/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

James

posted on 1/3/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
Hopefully someone will tell the meddling EU arseh**es to Bog off and leave our laws alone.

You realise it's thanks to the EC anti-ageism rulings that you now can't be forced to retire at 65. Oh, and can't be refused for a job application because of your age.

There's good and bad from it!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

coyoteboy

posted on 1/3/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day, insurance is a product we buy and that product can be whatever price the seller chooses to set. If we had state-run, not for profit, insurance like some countries we would pay notably less for plain old 3rd party cover and the only thing you'd be charged more for would be fire and theft cover on top, meaning everyone can afford the basic insurance so no-one is left without recompense in a crash,but you pay on top if you want to protect your pride and joy.

quote:

You realise it's thanks to the EC anti-ageism rulings that you now can't be forced to retire at 65. Oh, and can't be refused for a job application because of your age.

Not really, it's a piece of cake to work around both of those "laws" if the employer wishes to, you'd find it virtually impossible to prove them wrong.

[Edited on 1/3/11 by coyoteboy]

MikeRJ

posted on 1/3/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

There's good and bad from it!

Cheers,
James

So how long until the EC decides that basing your insurance premium on your age, location, type of car or any other possible risk factor is discriminatory?

The EC appear to completely misunderstand the entire concept of insurance as a risk management tool. They are often blamed for ridiculous laws that turn out to be urban legends, but for me they have completely blown any last shred of credibility they might have had with this fantastically stupid ruling.

Maybe I should point the EC towards the Womens Institute, surely a hotbed of discrimination that should be disbanded immediately

[Edited on 1/3/11 by MikeRJ]

Alfa145

posted on 1/3/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably you can join the Womens institue if you wish as they now can't say no to men as thats discrimination.....

...same goes for the women only swimming sessions at my local pool, I assume they're now illegal?

norfolkluego

posted on 1/3/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just the number of claims, the average cost of a claim made by a young female driver is around half that of those made by young male drivers.

It's not sexist it's sensible.

norfolkluego

posted on 1/3/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

The EC appear to completely misunderstand the entire concept of insurance as a risk management tool. [Edited on 1/3/11 by MikeRJ]

Looks better as

The EC appear to completely misunderstand.

It doesn't need anything on the end of it

JoelP

posted on 1/3/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Where have they got the absurd idea from that discrimination is always bad? Have they never heard of indiscriminate bombings? Surely that alone should show you need to discriminate occationally.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

40inches

posted on 1/3/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Ooooo very narrow minded ... of the 'powers that be' that is.......

So.....if it's true that younger/females in general have fewer insurance claims, then...why should it not be cheaper?
Oh...and statistics also show that more young women/girls actually do their 'pass plus' after passing their driving tests then then lads........

Also....the insurance hikes that we have all faced over recent years, have been due...'they' say
to (mainly) young men not having insurance and pranging their cars........and excessive claims due to bad weather......
Is that not also victimisation on the older/no claims peeps?

So...you are happy to pay up to cover the costs on uninsured drivers/bad weather claims...but not to have a difference in cost if, statistics are right, that younger men make the highest claims?

Oh...and there is many a man that is the named driver on the other half's policy to make it cheaper for them......

Having lads and lasses myself, there are good and bad in both.......sadly it is more often the lads who on the day they have pass their tests think they are on par with Button, Hamilton et al, than the lasses

Just my two penny worth and IMHO .....

Fozzie

Very true, there are some strange vagaries in insurance premiums i.e: I am 62 my other half is 44. When we renewed our respective insurances this year I put my wife as a named driver on my insurance and got a £55 discount, she put me on her insurance as a named driver and got a £105 discount

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.