Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have i killed my starter motor?
nearly done

posted on 5/3/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have i killed my starter motor?

This afternoon i decided to bring the Westy out of its winter hibernation for a pre IVA wash and brush up.Two things became apparent ,firstly the battery was unable to offer much in the way of spinning the motor over and secondly the resulting extended cranking caused the starter to emit a few wisps of smoke. Now my question is weather the smoking starter is dead or will a new battery square every thing up? The inter net throws up the usual conflicting range of views eg starter is dead or dont worry about it to much. Any thoughts or experience greatly received.

Cheers,Sean

big_wasa

posted on 5/3/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Get a battery on it and see. It could just be dust and you have got it hot or you could have burnt it out.
Peteff

posted on 5/3/11 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Jump lead it off another battery and see what happens, if it turns over it's alright but if the rest of the smoke comes out it's shot. It may just be the lead to the solenoid getting hot and smoking.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/11 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
check the connections to the starter motor are in fact clean, they may be corroded and getting hot. If not then take them off and use a wire brush to get them shiny. Mind to not have the battery connected when you do this though...

Some copper grease carefully coated over the connections once done up should help them stay good for a long time

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevetzoid

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi if you have a voltmeter measure the battery voltage if you have about 12.2- 12.5 volts on open circuit( no load on the battery) that looks ok, check all the connections are clean and tight including the starter solenoid. If all is well there then check the engine can turn over allright,remove the plugs that makes it easy for the starter motor. Is it a straight starter motor and not the pre engaged type? Check again for smoke but if it doesn't turn over it's sounds as though the starter is up the swanny!!.

Hope this helps. Steve Evans.

snapper

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Set up a very good earth from starter mounting bolt to battery -V, try again will fully charged battery.
Started are pretty robust.
If you are in or near Essex I know a man who can put the smoke back in....
S&C Electrical, Harlow.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nickw2000

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
try by passing starter, or get a push lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.