Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front lower wishbone dimension
Mechman99

posted on 7/7/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Front lower wishbone dimension

Hi, Can anyone help?
I'm looking for a dimension from the centre line of the lower wishbone ball joint mounting holes (in line with the swivel) to the edge of the re-inforcing plate to which the shocker mounting bracket is attached.
Thanks

leto

posted on 10/7/04 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Either you are building or making detail plans you will need to have the donor bits before you start.
Cheers!

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

Mechman99

posted on 12/7/04 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Leto
Thanks for that
I am looking at a lower wishbone design utilising the Maxi ball joint rather than Cortina (similar to MK item). No dimension in the book but I dont want to buy a cortina joint just for the length and not use it, hence the question.
Cheers

Mix

posted on 13/7/04 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Measuring a Cortina bottom ball joint, the distance from the centre line of the two smaller mounting holes to the inboard edge of the casting is c67.5mm. The distance from the ball joint centre to the inboard edge of the casting is c70mm.
In reality the critical dimension is the 340mm, (ball joint to wishbone pivot centre). I suggest you get your ball joints before finalising the design of your wishbones.
While we are on the subject, don't forget to allow for the book error re castor angle when making your upper bones, see numerous previous posts.

Mick

Mechman99

posted on 13/7/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mick
Thanks for that, spot on.

dblissett

posted on 13/7/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
maxi plates

i bought two ball joint plates from luego about £10 for the pair these were to suit the maxi ball joints i also bought the two shocker mouting plates at the same time all in all about £20 well worth it as it saved me a load of hassal and they are well made
cheers dave

Mechman99

posted on 14/7/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.
Don't want to appear a plonker but as someone relatively new to the site, can you explain the error in the book regarding the front suspension.
I have compared some of the threads regarding top wishbone dimensions ref castor angle and find the threads are giving 22mm as desirable against 3/4" in the book. Is this it or is there something more. Help appreciated as due to current limited space, I thought first thing to make would be the wishbones

leto

posted on 15/7/04 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
The book is wrong, Mr Champion mixed up a some things. If you are an experienced welder its OK to start with the wishbones but they are not the place to pick up welding skills.

Cheers!

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

Mix

posted on 16/7/04 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
In order to achieve the required castor angle of about 5.5 degrees when using Cortina uprights the top balljoint centre line has to be 22mm behind that of the lower one. If you follow the book dimensions you will end up with only a 9.5mm offset.
There are two common methods of correcting this error:
1) Move the upper wishbone mounting brakets rearwards, (you will need to make some modification to the front of the chassis to allow the brackets to have suitable mounting points).
2) Redesign the top wishbone so as it has the correct offset.

FWIW I went for the second option.

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.