Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: struggling to find gears, changing down
nickw2000

posted on 8/3/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
struggling to find gears, changing down

hi, have a pinto engine with a type 9 gearbox,

runs smooth as a nut, everynow and again i will struggle to find a gear whilst changing down, but most of the time runs all good..

this just happens every, now and again, and only changing down a gear, also a gear crunch getting in reverse,

any help appriciated please.

BenB

posted on 8/3/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you're getting a gear crunch when stationary into reverse then it might well be the clutch not disengaging properly. Initially I wondered about a worn synchro but cars don't generally have them on reverse anyway.
snapper

posted on 9/3/11 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Manual adjust or auto adjust cable?
If manual try adjusting out some play.
If auto make sure the spring retained wedge disengages on full depression of the pedal or it wont auto adjust.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nitram38

posted on 9/3/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Check two things, clutch adjustment wether pedal or on the lever arm, also make sure you have enough oil in the gearbox

Sellsie

posted on 9/3/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
This was a common problem on the Sierra and other Fords at the time.

Caused by dirt and rust on the input shaft splines not allowing the centre plate to come away from the flywheel fully keeping the gearbox driven when changing gears. Most common when selecting First and Reverse.

The solution is to remove gearbox and clean up the splines on the input shaft using wet and dry in every groove of the splines. Then apply a small amount of copper grease to splines.

Also check the splines on the centre plate and make sure they are also clean (or fit new).

Not the news you wanted Im sure but that was the fix we used when I worked at a Ford delership some years ago without any return issues.

adithorp

posted on 9/3/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can be a few things.
Check adjustment as above. If thats OK its gearbox off. Check that the release bearing is OK. The fingers are all level (indicates diaframe failure) and not worn. Then strip the clutch and check the driven plate on the splines as above and for any oil contamination. Check the spigot bearing in the flywheel.
If that dosen't find anything your onto gearbox problems.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bi22le

posted on 9/3/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
On some ford gearboxes like the MT75 reverse is selected alot easier if you put it into 5th first then reverse. Obviously while stand still.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Sellsie

posted on 9/3/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
The poor reverse gear selection was such a problem for Ford that when they developed the MT75 gearbox they added a syncro on reverse gear.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.