Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint reaction - please advise
smart51

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Paint reaction - please advise

My Suzuki Cappuccino has had a hard winter tucked up in the garage and now I'm getting it out for the summer and I've found a pair of small rust bubbles near the rear arches. No problem, I thought. I've sanded it back a little and treated with rust converter and today I sprayed on some filler primer. It's a Halfords aerosol of the sort I use all the time - normally without a problem. This time, before the paint has even dried, cracks started to appear in the new paint. I've wiped it off and it has softened the 17 year old colour beneath. What do I need to do to clean the mess up so it takes the new paint?

markie t

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
The reason for the reaction is that the solvent/thinners in the primer has soaked through the original paint which then softens it and gets underneath and lifts it causing cracks/wrinkles, this is generally caused by putting the primer on too heavy. You will need to let the primer completely dry out then sand the area that has reacted untill smooth, then re-apply the primer in light coats to prevent the same thing happening again (a heatgun or hairdryer is also useful to speed the drying process between coats) just take your time and dont rush it, give it a good 20 mins to dry after each coat and it should be fine.
tilly819

posted on 10/3/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
there is another possible cause as well you may find that the old paint is cellulose and the rattle can is synthetic, these two are awful for reacting together, if the problem persists rub it right back and apply a coat of "barcoat" made by upol there are others about normally advertised as isolators, since it is not the whole panel you are painting you will have to be careful with the top coat as well.

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

blakep82

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
i've sprayed cellulose over halfords can primers plenty of times and its been fine? ^

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

austin man

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dry and warm the area up slighty, when using cans of paint I genneraly shake them as prescribed then place in a bowl of hot water, leve for 5 minutes than shake again and apply the pressure increases so make sure you keep a good distance away, Lighter coats are better andleave ample time to dry before next coats

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tilly819

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i've sprayed cellulose over halfords can primers plenty of times and its been fine? ^

its not so much of a problem when its new its more when you have old celulose and you try to repair it with new paint over the top, its not a certainty but out of all the automotive paints most lightly to react together they are the worst

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

r1_pete

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
there is another possible cause as well you may find that the old paint is cellulose and the rattle can is synthetic, these two are awful for reacting together, if the problem persists rub it right back and apply a coat of "barcoat" made by upol there are others about normally advertised as isolators, since it is not the whole panel you are painting you will have to be careful with the top coat as well.

tilly

Synthetic over cellulose is fine, cellulose over just about any other finish will cause a reaction.

Cellulose is a powerful solvent, there isn't much other than Methyl Ethyl Ketone which is more powerful.

To solve your reaction problems you are best using an etch primer, this will not attack the existing paint, but will bond well to it and any bare metal. Barrier coats do not bond to metal. The original finish on your car is more than likely acrylic.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 13/3/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
IME, tf it's the Halfords filler-type primer, it's very susceptible to ambient air temperature...want it as warm as you can...
smart51

posted on 13/3/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. I've been away for the weekend so its been sat in the garage for a few days to dry off. I've dry sanded it and put a very thin coat on. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. Sadly, there's not much I can do about the ambient temperature. Does warming the can make a difference?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.