Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road Legal Track Day Tyres 13x7
MikeFellows

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Road Legal Track Day Tyres 13x7

what are my options (and of course people opinions) on 888 style tyres on a 13x7 rim

Toyo R888 gives me an option of 185/60 and 205/60 - I liked these tyres when I used them on a Vx220, grip was excellent - poor in the wet though, but since im unlikely to do that many wet miles im not bothered, they seem to have gotten quite expensive now too

Yoko A048 gives me the same sizes as above, however price is a little more expensive, they are softer I believe

Kuhmo V70 - seems to come in slightly odd sizes 175/60 and 215/50 saves around £15 per corner over 888's though. but I dont know anything about them, is anyone using them, are they any good?

Dunlop DZ03G - only comes in 175/60, I think this is a little narrow, certainly at the rear but someone might be able to correct me on that, almost as expensive as the Yokos. Also never heard of anyone using them.

what else is out there, that I have missed?

would be interested to know the tyre sizes people are running too

also in the 888's/A048 do people run 205's at the rear and 185 front or not?

[Edited on 10/3/11 by MikeFellows]

norfolkluego

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
There's the new Toyo R1R which I believe is designed to meet the new EU (who else) regulations around road tyres and is designed to replace the R888 as their road legal tack tyre, not used it though
MikeFellows

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
no 13" in a r1r though

which could mean the end of Toyo's for those of us using or thinking of using 13" wheels

jeffw

posted on 11/3/11 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know where you are looking at the price of R888 but they are much cheaper than V70A or A048R. Try Camskill. I ordered 2 off 185/60 13" & 2 off 205/60 13" in R888 GG compound and they where £289.90 delivered from Camskill. This was 2 weeks ago. Contact them for their discount on R888 as well.

The R1R is somewhere between the T1R/T1S road tyre and the R888 and is only available in 15" and upwards. This is not a replacement for the R888 however.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by jeffw]

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/3/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
i have v70 fitted on the back of mine, they are ok but would not get them agen only because the amount of tread depth you get from new is bugger all so you dont get much road life from them
mark chandler

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I had these on my car, Yoko A048 lasted 3 sessioned track days with a standard blade engine.

They do hang on

I now have a set of slicks, these are lasting much better @ £15 a corner I would swap on the day and keep the road legal ones as wets.

Regards Mark

skippad

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Has anybody successfully managed to buy 185/60/13, 888's from anywhere?
Ive had them and 205/60/13's on order from Mac#1 motorsport for over 6 months and they cant find any!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have some part worn Avon ACB10 tyres as per Caterham R500 if you'd be interested?

SPYDER

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest ACB10's but Tim beat me to it.
They are available fully "E" marked and are called ACB10 SPORT.
I've got some ready to use on our Phoenix in 7/21 x 13. Equates to 195/50.
They are crossply construction, however, and usually require specific setting up if you want them to give their best.

jeffw

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
Has anybody successfully managed to buy 185/60/13, 888's from anywhere?
Ive had them and 205/60/13's on order from Mac#1 motorsport for over 6 months and they cant find any!

Camskill have stock.

mac1

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a limited supply of R888 in 185/60 x 13 and 205/60 x 13 GG compound available at the end of the month, we can supply tyres only via mail order, fit the tyres to your rims, or suppy with 7J x 13" Team Dynamics 1.2's. To pre order please call me on 0114 2511016 or U2U with your requirements.

Mark

MAC#1 Motorsports

JimSpencer

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Had to do lots of rummaging for road legal MSA 1b tyres a few weeks ago, this is what i found out and posted on the Westfield speed series forum, where mentions the 'sources' are either the manufacturer or their importer / motorsport retailer:-

Toyo R888 - unavailable in soft, dunno about other compounds didn't ask.. told to 'ring back in May but probably not even then'

Avon ZZR - unavailable in soft, according to one source 'might be available in a few months' - according to another 'Not scheduled for production what-so-ever' and the last source is very 'In'..

Dunlop CR311, available in R04 (Med/Hard) & R08 (Med) compound but only 4 sizes are E marked - 215/45/13, 225/45/13 & the same in 15's.
None of the softer compunds are E Marked - but a Dunlop Medium is apparently quite soft, possibly useful - if they'll fit your car that is..

Kumho's - very helpful bloke, but 'super softs' in a few odd sizes only, nothing that suited a Striker that's for sure.

The 888's that are available are the GG compund (medium) or the GGG (medium hard) - know of one place that has one SG (soft) in stock if it's any use to anybody, but it must be a left over from last year!

I've run a set of 888's in GG and found them a bit too hard for my car, took way too long to warm up even when being pushed a bit!

The 185/60/13's I eventually found in a soft compund are Yoko A048's - which so far seem to be quite impressive.

Skidpan - If it's SG's you're after I think you might be worth making some calls..

jeffw

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to the Motorsport guy at Toyo a few weeks ago and got the information on the compounds

SG - Wet Soft
GG - Medium
GGG - Dry Medium/Soft

SG & GGG are not normally kept in stock long as they go off...Toyo have a large shipment coming into the UK in March of the R888.

Camskill currently have 185/60 13 in GG & GGG plus they have 1 SG. They also appear to have stock of 205/60 13 SG.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.